Steam is the most popular legitimate marketplace for videogames in the world. We want to highlight the word legitimate because there are many popular game trading websites out there that are more or less shady.
Apart from being entirely legit, the platform lets you gift games to your Steam buddies. Read on and find out how to view your friends’ wishlist on Steam, pick a game, and gift it to them. Valve recently updated the gifting system and made it even better. We’ll cover the changes, as well.
Viewing Your Friends’ Wishlist
Here is how you can view your friends’ wishlist on Steam:
- Launch the Steam app on your computer as it runs smoother than the website.
- Sign in with your user credentials.
- Click on Friends and Chat in the bottom-right of the Steam app window.
- Click on the dropdown arrow next to your friend’s username.
- Select View Profile.
- Click on the Games option (to the right, near the center of their profile screen).
- You will see several tabs here (games they own, recently played games, their wishlist). Click on Wishlist.
- Browse your friend’s wishlist and see what titles they desire.
Important note: your friend needs to set their profile privacy to public. Otherwise, you won’t be able to see their wishlist. So, the only requirements for viewing a friend’s wishlist are to have them on your Steam friends list, and their profile must be public.
Proceed with Gifting Them a Game
If there is an exciting game on your friend’s wishlist, preferably a game you are playing already, maybe you’ll want to gift it to them. Follow the steps:
- On your friend’s wishlist, browse for the game you want to gift them. Click on Add to Cart next to its title.
- Your Steam shopping cart will open. Select Purchase as a Gift. If you already own the game, Purchase for Myself option will be unavailable (greyed-out).
- Select your friend’s name from your Steam friends list. Click Continue to send the gift.
- Add a sweet gift note if you want to make the present even more special. Enter your friend’s first name, your message, sentiment, and signature. Click Continue when you are done.
- Enter your payment info. Note that Steam takes various credit cards and PayPal, but it stopped approving Bitcoin purchases in a recent update because of the currency’s volatility.
- Finally, review your purchase, make sure that the payment info is correct, and click on Continue to send the game as a gift to your friend.
The game will appear in your friend’s Inventory, and Steam will instantly add it to their account. You will receive an email receipt of the gift. To see if your friend got the game, click on Games in the top-left of your screen, and click on Manage Gifts and Guest Passes.
Recent Steam Gifts Policy Change
Game reselling on Steam was a common practice for years, and many people made a living out of this business. It was all possible thanks to the previous gifting system. Before, games on Steam were sold via game codes. You could have as many duplicate codes as you wanted.
Now, with the recent update to Steam game gifting, this is no longer possible. You won’t lose any duplicate codes you had before the update, but you won’t be able to hoard them anymore. It is Valve’s way of dealing with illegitimate game resellers on Steam, and it is reasonable.
They also simplified the way you purchase gifts, which you can now do directly from your friend’s wishlist. This new system is much better and functional overall. Additionally, Valve stopped taking Bitcoin payments due to its extreme volatility.
Alternative to Gifting Games on Steam
Gifting games to your Steam friends is excellent, but it has one flaw. You can’t tell which games your Steam friends want the most. They might have a huge wishlist, and making the right choice can be difficult. That’s why it is perhaps better to give Steam gift cards to your friends.
Here is how you can get them a Steam gift card:
- Open Steam.
- Click on Steam in the top-left corner of your screen and select Settings.
- Next, from the Account tab, select View Account Details.
- Click on Add Funds to Your Steam Wallet.
- Select Redeem a Steam Gift Card or Wallet Code.
- Scroll down and select Purchase Digital Gift Cards.
- Select the gift card value and select a friend you want to surprise. Click on Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
Steam will update your friend’s Steam wallet balance, and you will get an email receipt.
Games Are Better with Friends
That was our guide on viewing your friend’s wishlist on Steam and buying them gifts. Hopefully, it helped you, and you managed to buy the right Steam gift for your friend quickly.
Which game did you get them? Our top gift choices would be CS:GO, PUBG, Dead by Daylight, Rainbow Six Siege, or GTA V.
Feel free to share your opinions and experiences with us in the comments section below.