135 Great Selfie Captions for Pictures of Yourself on Instagram
One of the biggest changes of the social media era is the rise of the selfie. Back in the days when cameras used film, most pictures of people were group shots intended to create a memory of a social gathering, or portrait shots taken of a person by another photographer. These days, however, the ubiquitous smartphone has made it so easy and fun to take candid (or meticulously planned) snapshots of ourselves. People love to share selfies on social media apps like Instagram, Facebook or Snapchat, sending their images to friends, family, and loved ones, or to the entire world. Although we think of selfies as being a new invention, in fact people have been taking selfies since cameras were invented; it’s just a lot easier now. The advent of the ubiquitous “selfie stick,” along with better front-facing cameras and wide-angle lenses, has made it easier to take selfies that don’t just feature a close-up shot of your nose. And as phones get better and better, with improved portrait modes and lighting effects, we’re sure to see an increased number of people taking photos of both themselves and their friends. Whether you love snapping selfies, or you feel awkward stretching your arm out to take a picture of yourself, the era of fun self portraits is definitely here.
People take selfies for all sorts of different reasons, from capturing new haircuts, makeup, and outfits to grabbing pictures with a close friend or loved ones. Selfies can boost your confidence, allow you to share the world around you with those thousands of miles away, and help raise your general attitude about life. They’re infinite positivity-generating options, and everything from selfies to filters make it easy to create an artistic shot of you and your friends without someone else playing photographer.
But if you’re going to put your selfie online, it probably needs an extra something to make it memorable. An interesting picture needs an interesting caption–and a boring picture needs one even more. Maybe you want to add a caption to your captured selfie moment, but you’re not sure what to say. We’ve gathered a list of selfie captions for any occasion, so that whether you’re feeling witty or sarcastic or anything in between, you’re likely to find a caption from our list that’s perfect for you.
Let’s start off on the sassier side of things for those days when you’re feeling hot. These selfie captions are great for when you want to add a splash of fresh personality to your selfie caption, whether it’s sharp or self-deprecating.
- I like my coffee how I like myself: dark, bitter, and too hot for you.
- Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
- Blood type: matte black with a hint of gold.
- Confidence level: selfie with no filter.
- You can call me queen bee.
- Less perfection, more authenticity.
- I’m a blur, a speeding bullet you can’t catch.
- There’s always a wild side to an innocent face.
- I don’t need your approval, darling. I have my own.
- Drink some coffee and pretend you know what you’re doing.
- Find me Where the Wild Things Are.
- I am the designer of my own catastrophy.
- Be a flamingo in a flock of pigeons.
- There’s no room for demons when you’re self-possessed.
- Seek respect, not attention. It lasts longer.
- Showing cleavage doesn’t fix your face.
- As beautiful on the inside as I am on the outside.
Fun and Playful
If you’re feeling like you’re in a bit of a creative mood, or if you’re a bit of a jokester, these might be perfect captions for your Instagram photos. They’re funny, witty, and inventive—just like you.
- Maybe she’s born with it; maybe it’s an Instagram filter.
- I’m headed to space with the rest of the stars.
- You don’t have to like me; I’m not a Facebook status.
- If at first, you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you.
- My girlishness has sharp teeth.
- If you think nobody cares if you’re alive, try missing a couple of car payments.
- When nothing goes right, go left instead.
- I’m a model. My agency’s Instagram.
- Always remember that you’re unique. Just like everyone else.
- A selfie a day keeps the mental breakdown away.
- If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make them the gingerbread man?
- A blind man walks into a bar… and a chair… and a table.
- I had fun once—it was horrible. Never again.
- Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
- Be a stiletto in a room full of flats.
- I don’t have ex’s; I have Y’s. Like, “Why did I ever date you?”
- There may be no excuse for laziness, but I’m still looking.
- My only real long-term goal is never to end up on Maury. So far, so good.
- How much do I weigh? 100 and sexy….
- Meanwhile, at your local Walmart…
- Reality called, so I hung up.
While psychologists warn that engaging in too much self-deprecation is bad for your self-esteem, a little bit of this kind of humor can show that you understand your own foibles and are willing to admit them, and even to poke fun at them. These self-deprecating captions are just the thing to let the world know you aren’t entirely an egomaniac.
- When you’re on your 28th selfie attempt and still refusing to acknowledge that this isn’t your day.
- New look, same mistakes.
- Will this outfit get me the man of my dreams? Tune in tomorrow for the next episode of “Nope”.
- People are surprised when I tell them I have a 4.0 GPA while working full-time and having an active social life…lies really open up my options.
- I am so clever that sometimes I don’t understand a single word of what I am saying.
- Mirrors: they show you what you lack, not what you have.
- How do you lower the difficulty setting on Tinder?
- All my imaginary friends says I need therapy.
If things have been feeling a bit dark or grim in the world lately, you aren’t alone. Not everything on Snapchat necessarily needs to be a joke, or a quirky comment, and these captions prove it. While we’ve stayed away from true downers, these selfie captions are perfect for when you’re feeling sincere, pensive, or in need of something uplifting.
- Never cry for a person that does not know the value of your tears.
- She’s a keeper. Too bad you didn’t keep her.
- We take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone.
- Life is way too short for bad vibes.
- Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.
- There’s no law that says you have to be dissatisfied or disappointed with who you are. +
- I’m trying hard to grow…please don’t walk on me!
- By the way, I’m wearing the smile you gave me.
- Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing.
- You shine from within; my very own star.
- When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal; you do not change your decision to get there.
- If you quit now, what were you even fighting for?
- Smile, breathe, and go slowly.
- And if you’re ever feeling lonely, just look at the moon. Someone somewhere is looking at it, too.
- Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.
- Don’t let someone dim your light, simply because it’s shining in their eyes.
- Winning isn’t everything, but losing sucks.
- Make peace with your broken pieces.
Like self-deprecation, sarcasm is something you have to be careful with. Like tequila, it’s something that is best in small doses most of the time. But when you want to lay down some sarcasm, here are the captions to use.
- Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.
- It’s okay if you don’t like me. Not everyone has good taste.
- Mirrors can’t talk, lucky for you they can’t laugh either.
- I feel so miserable without her, it’s almost like having her here.
- I don’t have the energy to pretend to like you today.
- I’m sorry I hurt your feelings when I said you were stupid. I thought you already knew.
- Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.
- If karma doesn’t hit you, I gladly will.
- I’d agree with you but then we’d both be wrong.
We all have those special people in our lives that fill our stomachs with butterflies every time we see them. Whether it’s an unrequited crush, the love shared between best friends, or true romance with another person, our hearts sing out for the love and respect we all want. These captions will warm the deepest part of your heart as much as your followers, and go great with those selfies of you and your someone-special.
- Always better together.
- Life is made of small moments like this.
- Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
- I think you are suffering from a lack of vitamin me.
- Be happy; it drives people crazy.
- I’m not living; I’m just killing time.
- I can’t fall asleep without a little help.
- Baby, I’ll take whatever it is you’ve gotta give, yeah I’m calling dibs.
- Two great tastes that taste great together.
- Make love your motto.
- A woman who opens her heart to love you, when it’s already broken, is braver than any person you’ll meet.
- Live, laugh, love. And if that doesn’t work, load, aim, fire.
- Promise me tomorrow starts with you.
- Hearts are wild creatures—that’s why our ribs are cages.
- Never break the chain.
- A true relationship is two imperfect people refusing to give up on each another.
- I fall too fast, crash too hard, forgive too easily, and care too much.
Just for Direct
Instagram is great for sharing photos of yourself and your surroundings to your feed, but Instagram Direct has taken over for Snapchat for millions of users. Instead of having to keep your photos split between two applications, you can choose to use Instagram Direct to send temporary photos and videos to your friends and family, all while being able to not worry about the repercussions of sharing those images. Direct offers most of the same features as Snapchat, including AR lenses, filters, and captions, all with the improved photo quality that can only be brought to you by Instagram.
If you’re looking for a caption to use to send Direct message to your best friends, without having to worry about it being seen by every single one of your followers, these are perfect for quick snaps and additions to your Instagram Story.
- We’ll be the ones to show them all who’s boss.
- The Monday-est Tuesday ever.
- The uglier the Snapchat, the tighter the friendship.
- Can’t get this song out of my head.
- Rough day, wonderful night.
- Too glam to give a damn.
- Sweatshirt kind of day.
- Morning coffee, because anything else is worthless.
- At the end of the day, all we have is who we are.
- If you can’t handle me at my double-chin Snapchat, you can’t have me at my Instagram selfie.
- Anybody have plans to stare at their phone somewhere exciting this weekend?
- I’m not sure what to do with my face.
- Radiate positive vibes.
- That awkward moment when someone is watching you take a picture of yourself.
- This kid is going places—now to figure out where.
- Memes are the only thing saving me right now.
- Be yourself—everyone else is taken.
Short and Sweet
You can write a long post with your Instagram photos, but not everyone wants to do that. If you’re intent on keeping things simple, if not short, you’re probably looking for a caption that sums up your feelings in a direct, easy to read phrase. These offer a good mix of humor and feelings, all while keeping things short and to the point.
- Let’s just be who we really are.
- Broken crayons still color.
- The days are long but the years are short.
- Dream without fear. Love without limits.
- Never mind.
- Know yourself, know your worth.
- Happy life, happy mind.
- What you seek is seeking you.
- Don’t be easy to define. Let them wonder about you.
- I get lost in thoughts of you.
- She’s different, and that’s everything.
- Coffee and confidence.
- Surround yourself with those who make you happy.
- You’re closer than you were yesterday.
- I take photos of everything.
- Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
- Inhale the future. Exhale the past.
- I don’t care. I just do.
- Make it happen.
- Keep calm and take photos.
- You’ll never be as fabulous as a llamacorn.
- Focus on what matters and let go of what doesn’t.
- The more I find myself, the more people I lose.
- Just because it didn’t last forever, doesn’t mean it wasn’t worth it.
- Short, sassy, cute and classy.
- We don’t remember days; we remember moments.
- Your hair is 90% of your selfie.
- Stop living life their way. Start living it yours.
Anything we missed?
That’s our list of 135 selfie captions for any reason, feeling, or moment. We hope you’ve enjoyed our selection. Let us know what you think of our list—we are positive you’ll find some that you’d like to use for your selfie captions. Have another favorite selfie caption you’ve used? Let us know your favorites in the comments section below.
And don’t forget about your other pictures, because they need captions too! Check out our list of captions for couples, captions for your boyfriend, captions “just for us girls”, or funny captions to share with anyone in your life.