How to Hide Chat in Viber
Rakuten Viber is one of the most popular instant messaging apps on the internet. It is right behind Whatsapp, and they basically have the same set of features. One of the best things about Viber is private chat.
Not many people know about it because, well, it is hidden. This is a good thing because if you can’t access hidden chats on your phone that means that nobody else will either. Most smartphone users use passcodes, as well as face and fingerprint scans to lock and unlock their phones.
However, if you want to be extra safe, you can use Viber hidden chats. This article will show you how.
What Is Viber Hidden Chat
- What Is Viber Hidden Chat
- How to Hide Chats on Viber
- Hide a Chat from Viber Chat Info Screen
- Hide a Chat from the Chats Screen on Viber
- How to Unhide a Viber Chat
- How to Open a Chat You Have Hidden
- How Do You Know You Received a Hidden Message on Viber?
- How to Change the Secret Viber PIN
- How to Reset the Secret Viber PIN
- iPhone Touch ID for Viber
- Desktop and Tablet Users
- The Mystery of the Hidden Viber Chat
You can use Viber on Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS devices. You can download the app at the official Viber website, all the links for mobile and desktop devices are provided there. When you download and install the latest version of Viber, you can access hidden chats.
Viber is known for excellent privacy standards, as they make sure no one can intercept your messages and invade your privacy. Unfortunately, hidden chats only work on mobile devices. This feature is still not available on tablets or desktops.
Viber hidden chats cannot be viewed from the main messaging menu. You have to enter a chat with the desired user and set up a secret PIN. Only then will you be able to hide your messages, and nobody will be able to see them.
Even if someone gets ahold of your phone, they would have to know your secret PIN to view your private messages on Viber.
How to Hide Chats on Viber
Hiding a chat on Viber isn’t complicated when you know what you are doing. Using your smartphone, iOS, Android or Windows, it doesn’t make a difference, you can do the following:
Hide a Chat from Viber Chat Info Screen
- Open Viber on your smartphone.
- Go to the Chats Selection screen.
- Tap on the chat you want to hide.
- Select Chat Info from the dropdown menu. On the iPhone, you will see this option when you click on the name of the contact. On Android, this option will appear when you select the More Options icon. You can swipe left on either device to open Chat Info.
- Tap on Hide this chat.
- Set up a secret PIN with 4 digits (iPhone users can even use Touch ID, you will learn how soon).
Hide a Chat from the Chats Screen on Viber
- Launch the Viber app on your phone.
- Move to the Chats Selection screen.
- Locate the chat you want to hide and swipe left on it and select hide on iPhone. On Android, you need to tap on the chat in question and hold for some time, and then select the Hide option.
- Now you will need to set up a secret PIN with four digits.
How to Unhide a Viber Chat
- Fire up Viber on your phone.
- Go to the chat you want to unhide. Swipe left on it on either Android or iPhone.
- Tap the Unhide this chat option.
- Confirm with your secret PIN or iPhone touch ID.
How to Open a Chat You Have Hidden
- Launch Viber on Android or iPhone.
- Go to the Chats screen.
- Type the secret four-digit PIN in the search tab.
- A list with all hidden chats will appear. Tap on the one you want to view.
How Do You Know You Received a Hidden Message on Viber?
Viber did a smart thing with notifications for hidden chats. Once you receive a hidden message, you’ll be notified with a blank notification, just stating you have a new message.
When you are ready to open the message, start Viber and go the Chats screen. Enter your secret PIN in the search tab. Look for a chat which has a notification icon on it. Tap on it and you can read your hidden message.
How to Change the Secret Viber PIN
- Open Viber on your phone.
- Tap on the More icon to open the menu.
- Select Settings, and then Privacy.
- Choose Hidden Chats, and then Change PIN.
- Type out your previous PIN.
- After that, you’ll get the prompt you can change it.
How to Reset the Secret Viber PIN
- Start Viber on your phone.
- Tap on More, followed by Settings.
- Now choose Privacy, and then Hidden Chats.
- Select Reset PIN and confirm.
Now your PIN is reset, but you should know that doing this will delete all your previously hidden chats. Once you reset the PIN you can’t ever restore them.
iPhone Touch ID for Viber
Only iPhone users can use the touch ID. They can enable or disable it through the More menu. Before that, they need to set up a private PIN.
- Open Viber on your iPhone.
- Tap on the More icon and select Settings.
- Choose Privacy, and then Hidden Chats.
- By tapping the slider switch next to Access with Touch ID you can either disable or enable it.
Desktop and Tablet Users
As stated above, desktop and tablet users can’t use the Viber hidden chat feature. They can’t hide chats, view them, or unhide them. All the hidden messages you sent or received on your phone will be invisible on tablets and desktops.
The Mystery of the Hidden Viber Chat
Now you know everything there is to know about Viber hidden chats. All the information you read here is up to date and works on the current Viber mobile app, at the time of this writing. Things may change in the future and if that happens, you should refer to the official Viber support page.
Do you like Viber’s hidden chat feature? Did you get all the answers you needed? Let us know in the comments below, we will be happy to hear from you.