WhatsApp For Windows 10
WhatsApp messenger is a popular cross platform instant messaging client for smartphones. It uses the internet to send images, video, text messages, location, etc to other users. Users who don’t necessarily have a smart phone can now access this cross platform popular messaging app, if they possess a personal computer (be it laptop, desktop or notebook) with some minimum required hardware specifications. Being originally developed for Android platforms, WhatsApp requires an emulator such as BlueStacks for it to work on other platforms like Windows. These emulators require some minimum specs to work flawlessly:
- 2 GB of RAM
- Dedicated graphics Card from NVIDIA, AMD or Intel
- At least 9 GB of storage space should be available
- .Net framework 2.0 SP2, and
- Windows Installer 4.5
For BlueStacks to really able to work without any hiccup, a recommended set of specs must be used:
- 8 GB of RAM
- 4 GB dedicated graphics chip from NVIDIA, AMD or Intel
- 9 GB of available storage space
And the rest as mentioned above; installing the WhatsApp messenger on mobile platforms is quite different from installing on personal computers running Windows 10 Operating Systems. Some users may even experience machine slowdowns, as the emulator software uses up a good bit of your average computer’s memory. A second method for easy access has been made available by the WhatsApp messenger team, by directly allowing the users to access the popular cross platform text messenger online on Windows 10. The whole process has been shortlisted:
First visit the official website of WhatsApp software, and then click on ‘WhatsApp Web’ button as displayed on top of the page.
This will open a new page on WhatsApp website where an area to be scanned is available, and you will be prompted to scan the QR code via phone for connecting the two accounts. This will allow the WhatsApp messenger to be accessed on Windows 10 platform, without any kind of installation procedures.
The above mentioned process, however, works only if a user has an existing WhatsApp account and can access it via Smartphone. However, if the user does not have a smartphone, the procedure for setting up an emulator should be pursued:
- BlueStacks App Player software should be downloaded and installed on the computer similar to all normal software downloads. However, this will require a valid and active mobile number for validation/ activation of the account.
- During the course of installation, BlueStacks will prompt access to App Notifications and App Store. This depends on the user’s judgment, and answering this in either positive or negative ways does not create any added benefits.
- Following installation procedure, BlueStacks will run in full screen mode. To make it run in window mode, tap the icon present in top right mode.
- Launch the browser and download WhatsApp. apk file while keeping the Blue Stacks running in the background.
- Next double click on the WhatsApp.apk file which has been downloaded. This will result in automatic installation of WhatsApp messenger on BlueStacks App Player.
- When browsing through BlueStacks App Player, you will come across a number of apps which have been installed including games and other apps. Find and launch the WhatsApp messenger app for initiation.
- The steps now become similar to the initiation steps as observed on Smartphones. You will be asked to provide with a valid and active mobile number, which will be tried for verification by sending an SMS.
- Next wait for about 5 minutes or so, as WhatsApp will try and fail to verify the number. You will find an option for verification of your mobile number, by answering a call. Clicking on this will result in an immediate call asking for the verification code, which will be spoken out concurrently.
- Entry of the verification code will allow full-fledged running of WhatsApp messenger on your personal computer. However, none of your contacts will be visible, and you can add your contacts individually by clicking on the three dots on the top right position. You will need to ask the group admins in which you were a member earlier to allow you back in.
See the below image that will help you to install WhatsApp on your Windows 10 operating system without any fuss.
So, these are the two ways in which you can run WhatsApp on Windows 10. If you have questions or doubts, do let us know and we will try to solve it.