Apple TV 2 Jailbreak: iOS 5.3 Untethered
Apple has three generations of Apple TV set-top streaming boxes. But only the Apple TV and Apple TV 2 jailbreak is possible. Having a jailbroken Apple TV 2 allows many cool features like running ATV Flash, XBMC and many other interesting apps and tweaks that make the Apple TV 2 jailbreak worth it.
Read more articles about the Apple TV Jailbreak:
The Apple TV 2 already is a great device with so many wonderful features. But with the Apple TV 2 jailbreak, the value of the Apple TV 2 is on a different level. There is a release by FireCore, the creators of the Seas0nPass Apple TV jailbreak tool, released an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.3. Watch the YouTube video below to see how you can jailbreak your Apple TV 2
This jailbreak works with iOS 5.3 on Apple TV 2. It allows for tethered and untethered options that the Apple TV 2 jailbreak did not have before. Now the new features allow users to reboot the Apple TV without having to have a computer handy to perform a tethered boot. An untethered jailbreak is always more desirable when compared to a tethered jailbreak, because it doesn’t require a computer when rebooting the device.
This jailbreak method only works for the second generation Apple TV. You can still jailbreak the first generation Apple TV, but the newest Apple TV 3rd generation can’t be unlocked at this time. Since the Apple TV 3 doesn’t have jailbreak capabilities, used Apple TV and Apple TV 2 prices are much more expensive than the Apple TV 3 because of the jailbreak feature. You can still find an Apple TV 2 used models on Amazon, eBay or even Craigslist.
How to jailbreak the Apple TV 2 (untethered) running iOS 5.3:
- Download the latest version from the Seas0nPass website.
- Connect your Apple TV 2 to your Mac using a USB micro cable. (NOTE: You should see a flashing white LED light on the front of the Apple TV.
- Open the downloaded Seas0nPass.zip file and place it in the “Applications folder”.
- Go to the Applications folder, right-click on Seas0nPass.app, and select open. If you’re promoted with another open dialogue, click open again.
- After you have opened Seas0nPass, Select “Create IPSW” and the software will start downloading.
- After a few minutes you need to press the “Menu+Play/Pause” buttons on your remote control simultaneously for seven seconds.
- release the “Menu+Play/Pause” buttons, and then the jailbreak should be completed.
- After the jailbreak is finished, select “Done” on Seas0nPass.
- Connect your Apple TV 2 to your television using the HDMI port, and plug in the power cable.
- Set up the Wi-Fi connection and then you should see the “FireCore” logo on the Settings app.