How to Enable Your Keyboard Backlight in Windows 10
Most modern laptops come with backlit keyboards designed to make typing in low-light conditions easier. Most keyboards have backlight illumination and glowing letters but, sometimes, this neat feature will refuse to work. If that’s the case with your laptop, the problem is usually not with the keyboard.
If you’re a Windows 10 user, the backlit keyboard feature is most probably turned off in the Settings app. You just need to know where settings are and adjust them. Keep reading and learn how to manage your backlit keyboard in Windows 10.
Windows 10 Backlit Keyboard Adjustments
There are several ways to enable keyboard backlights and change their brightness in Windows 10. These options vary depending on the make and model of your Windows laptop.
One is via the Windows Mobility Center, and another is through the native app that comes with your laptop. Let’s see how they work.
Method 1—Use the Windows Mobility Center
The first method requires you to open the Control Panel and navigate to the Windows Mobility Center to get the backlight working on your laptop. Here is what you have to do:
- Click the Start button and type “Control Panel” in the search bar.
When the Control Panel window opens, look for the “Windows mobility center” tab.
- Open the Hardware and Sound section.
- Open the Windows Mobility Center, and you will see a few options. Move the slider under the “Keyboard backlight” tab to the right to enable the backlight.
- Click on the tab to access additional options. Enable “Keyboard lighting” and select the brightness you want.
- Next, choose the time for keyboard backlight’s auto shutdown. You can select options between five seconds and 15 minutes, as well as “Never off” if you don’t want the backlight to turn off automatically when your laptop is inactive.
- Select “OK” once you are happy with the changes you made.
Method 2—Use the Native App
Most laptops come with native apps for managing keyboard backlight brightness. If you are not sure if you have such an app, you can always check the system. Connect to the internet and type in the name of your laptop in your browser’s search bar. Add the phrase “Enable Keyboard Backlight Windows 10,” and you should be able to find the settings right away.
Using Your Computer’s Keyboard
Depending on the model, your computer probably has a keyboard function to turn on the backlight.
Again, depending on the model of your Dell, there are various keyboard functions to activate your keyboard’s backlight.
- Dell 14 Inspiron 7000, 15, 2016, 15, 17 5000 Series.
- Inspiron 15 5000, Latitude E5550, Latitude E7450/E7470
- Dell XPS 2016 and 13
- Dell Studio 15
- Some models may be Fn+11 or Fn+9
- Some models will work with a simple Fn+Space
Fn+F4 or F5
- Asus users will be able to tell the functions based on the symbols on the keys. If there are no light symbols anywhere on the keyboard, the laptop is not equipped with this function.
How can I tell if my laptop has a keyboard backlight?
One of the easiest ways to know whether or not your laptop has a keyboard backlight is to look at the keyboard itself, if you see any of the symbols by the manufacturer in the screenshots above then you can enable the backlight.
Can I use an external keyboard on a laptop?
Absolutely. Most wireless keyboards can connect to most laptops using Bluetooth or a USB port.
The Feature Is Not Working
Some Windows 10 users reported that the keyboard backlight settings don’t work. It’s not clear what causes the issue, but if you’re one of the unlucky users who have that problem, you can always troubleshoot for possible solutions. Here is what you have to do:
- Open the Start menu and type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar.
- Select “Keyboard” from the available options.
- When the troubleshooter pops up, select Run the troubleshooter.
- The system will then check for possible issues with your laptop’s keyboard. The keyboard backlight option should appear. Follow the instructions to enable it.
Other causes of your keyboard backlight woes can be attributed to hardware issues or even software updates. If your backlight no longer works after a drop it may be as simple as a loose cable. If you’ve performed an update recently power cycle your computer to see if it will turn back on.
Type in the Dark Like a Pro
Windows 10 blocks the keyboard backlight feature on some laptops automatically. It’s unclear why that happens, but with the simple methods described above, you will be able to turn it on and choose the brightness level you want at any time. The process is simple and takes only a minute or two to complete. You can finally type like a pro in the dark.
What method do you use to change the brightness of your keyboard’s backlight? How bright are your keyboard lights and how long is the auto shutdown period on your laptop? Share your methods in the comment section below.