How to Stream Kodi on Chromecast
Chromecast is a perfect tool for streaming content from your tablet, phone, or computer to your TV. All you need is a network-streaming program like Kodi. Setting Kodi up is a bit complicated, but not to worry–that’s what the internet is for! I have prepared this guide to help you get Kodi and Chromecast working together so you can find and watch all your favorite content on a big TV screen.
Stream Kodi from an Android Phone or Tablet
It’s possible to stream Kodi to Chromecast using only Android devices. There are two ways to go about it. The first way takes longer, but uses less battery power. The second way is quick, but uses a lot of power. Read on to see your options.
The long way:
You’ll need a few apps installed to do this, and one other file, in addition to Kodi.
- First, you need the ES File Explorer app. This enhanced file explorer will let you look at files that are normally invisible to the user.
- Second, you need the LocalCast app. This is the app that will let you stream from your phone.
- Third, you need Kodi (just in case you forgot).
- Fourth, you need to download an .xml file called “PlayerFactoryCore.” This file is a list of settings that will modify Kodi. You can find this file on SourceForge and other places online.
Once you have all these things, you can begin.
- Make sure you’ve connected Kodi to the Kodi app.
- Open ES File Explorer. Go to Settings and Display Settings; and tick the “Show hidden files” box.
- Head back to the ES File Explorer and open the Downloads folder.
- In this folder you will find the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file. Copy that file.
- Navigate to the Android folder, then Data. Look for the file org.xbmc.kodi.
- Open org.xbmc.kodi, click on Files, .kodi, and then User Data.
- Paste the PlayerFactoryCore.xml file into the User Data folder.
- Open Kodi and choose a video you want to watch. Kodi will automatically launch LocalCast.
- When it has loaded press “Play” and choose the device which you want to stream to.
- You will have to tap on “Play” one more time to see your video on TV.
The short way:
If you’re in a hurry, you’re not as concerned about your battery life, or you don’t feel like enough of a power-user for those steps, here’s the quick and simple method.
- Open the Chromecast app on your device.
- Open the menu and choose the “Cast screen/audio” option.
- Follow the instructions there, which will guide you through connecting to your Chromecast.
- After that, open Kodi, find the video you want to watch and play it. The video will play on both devices. You can turn off the screen to save power. (Don’t worry, you’ll still be able to take calls.)
Stream Kodi from a Computer
Streaming Kodi from a computer is comparatively simple. Kodi is easier to set up on a PC than on an Android device. To stream content, you will need three things installed:
- The Chrome internet browser.
- The Chromecast app.
- The Kodi app.
With those programs, casting is pretty simple.
- Open Chrome and select the “Cast” option.
- You will see “Cast this tab to…” on the right, and a small arrow. Click on it and select “Cast entire screen (experimental).” Once you have done this, your whole desktop will begin streaming to your TV.
- Open Kodi, and choose the video you would like to watch.
So now you can stream content to your TV from your phone, your, tablet, or your desktop! The expanded TV displays and better resolutions are obvious advantages to streaming and playing videos from tablet devices.
If you’re ready to dive into Kodi and really customize your experience, check out our list of hacks and modifications here.