How to Unsubscribe from Crunchyroll
The anime and manga streaming platform Crunchyroll is highly popular all over the world. Yet most of its users seem to be rocking the free membership status. Some say that it’s because paid memberships don’t offer enough incentive.
Others claim that the issue is managing subscriptions and an unintuitive account dashboard. In this article, we’ll show you how to solve your membership status issues, delete your account, and recommend a membership plan that may be more suited for you.
How to Cancel Your Membership / Delete Account
First thing’s first, you have to login in order to make any changes to your account. Then, follow these steps:
- Hover over the avatar on your account page to bring up the options.
- Select the Settings option.
- Go at the Membership Status tab.
- Click on the Cancel Membership option.
- Click OK to confirm.
- Select the Cancel Recurring Payments option.
By doing this you won’t be deleting your account. Instead, you’ll revert back to a free subscription.
If you want to delete your account completely, select the Cancel Premium Membership option in Step 6, rather than cancelling recurring payments. This will delete your Crunchyroll account completely.
Note that this method for canceling your membership only applies if you’re using a credit card to pay for the subscription. Other payment methods feature different cancellation processes.
How to Cancel Membership Purchase from a Third-Party/Partner App
If you’re an iOS or Mac user, chances are you’ve bought a Crunchyroll membership through iTunes. If that’s the case, in order to cancel the membership you may have to take a different approach.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on your name.
- Tap the Subscriptions button.
- Scroll through the list of subscriptions until you see Crunchyroll.
- Select it and then tap Cancel Subscription.
If you’re using a Mac, the steps are a bit different.
- Open the App Store on your Mac.
- Click on your name/the sign-in button.
- Click the View Information option.
- Sign in, if you aren’t already.
- Scroll down until you see the Subscriptions page.
- Click the Manage button.
- Find your Crunchyroll subscription.
- Click the Edit button next to it.
- Click the Cancel Subscription option.
Note that if you don’t see the option for canceling your subscription it means that it’s already been canceled and it won’t renew. This is also a quick way of checking to see if you’ve successfully canceled your subscription.
How to Cancel Membership via PayPal
If you’re paying for your Crunchyroll subscription using PayPal, you can cancel it from your PayPal account. Login and do the following:
- Go to your dashboard and look at your charges.
- Select your most recent Crunchyroll charge.
- Click on the Manage Crunchyroll Payments option.
- Under the Billing Details window look for the Status.
- Click the Cancel button to stop recurring payments.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Recheck the Billing Details page to make sure the Status on your Crunchyroll now says cancelled.
Crunchyroll Premium vs. Premium+
Crunchyroll doesn’t make it easy on users to downgrade their subscription. It’s very simple to upgrade but not to downgrade. So, if you’re wondering if you should go for the Premium+, here are some things that you might want to know first.
Premium+ membership offers only four extra perks worth mentioning:
- Free shipping on products in the Store.
- Access to events and conventions.
- Beta access on new website features.
- Exclusive contests and virtual badge.
Other than that, there’s nothing more that Premium+ offers over the Premium membership. Given the price difference, this may seem like a sweet deal on paper. But users are split between the two membership plans because Premium+ doesn’t offer as many exclusive events or contests.
It’s true that the price difference isn’t great. Yet neither is the return of investment in the long run.
Also remember that if you want to downgrade from Premium+ to Premium you first have to cancel your membership. After the current paid cycle is over you can then opt for a Premium membership again. There’s no way to downgrade or get a refund on the extra money you spend on Premium+.
Is the Crunchyroll Interface All Over the Place?
Many users complain about the Crunchyroll platform. It’s not the most user-friendly or intuitive and lots of things are solved through third-party entities or services. Would you like to see an overhaul of the platform and have things such as managing subscriptions simplified?
What other changes would you like to see? Let us know in the comments section below. Be sure to mention if you’ve had issues with upgrading or downgrading your subscription using any of the featured methods in this article.