How To Enable YouTube Dark Mode
It is widely believed that the transition to the dark side involves pain, anger, and suffering. It is believed that it is a long and soul-crushing process paved with evil deeds and constant agony. Many also believe that there is no way back and that those who make the transition can’t be redeemed.
But what about the dark side, ahem, dark mode of YouTube? Upon close and thorough examination, our team of force experts came to a conclusion that the transition to YouTube’s dark side involves no pain, anger, or suffering. It is quick and easy, and cat videos there are just as cute as they are on the light side.
Finally, our experts were stunned to find that the return from the dark side was painless and equally fast and that their souls remained intact. Let’s see why and how to embrace the dark mode of YouTube.
Why Choose the Dark Mode?
YouTube‘s dark mode has been around for quite a while. Initially, you needed some coding prowess to summon it to the options menu of your YouTube account. Nowadays, however, it is available to everyone, regardless of whether you’re logged in or not.
The main reason YouTube introduced the dark mode in the first place was to help those who like to binge-watch fail compilations, cute animal videos, and tech tutorials at night. Thanks to the backdrop that matches the ambient lighting conditions, viewing in dark mode at night is far easier on the eyes than the classic light mode.
While there’s no hard scientific proof, viewing in dark mode might help with your sleep patterns. It emits plenty of blue light, unlike the standard version. This, in turn, makes the color a bit warmer than in standard mode.
Another reason to switch over to the dark side is to not disturb your roommates when you’re watching videos late at night. Your eyes will be grateful in the morning and your roomies won’t be cranky.
How to Switch to the Dark Mode on Your PC
Turning on YouTube’s dark mode on PC is easy and the steps are the same for every major browser. You can activate it whether you’re signed in or not. This method works in all incognito and private browser modes, as well. Here’s how to switch to YouTube’s dark mode:
- Launch your browser.
- Navigate to YouTube’s home page. Optionally, you can sign in.
- If you’re signed out, click the three vertical dots. If you’re signed in, click your profile icon in the upper-right corner of the screen. The following steps are the same for both types of users.
- Click the “Dark Theme: Off” tab.
- Next, click the “Dark Theme” slider. The slider will turn blue and the screen will switch to the dark mode.
These steps will also work on Mac and Linux computers, regardless of the browser you’re using.
How to Disable the Dark Mode
While the dark mode is beneficial to your eyes during the night and looks cool during the day, some users might wish to switch back to the light side. Follow these steps to revert to the classic YouTube theme:
- Launch your browser.
- Go to YouTube’s home page.
- If you’re logged out, click on the three vertical dots icon. If you’re signed in, click on your profile icon.
- Next, click on the “Dark Theme: On” tab.
- Finally, click on the “Dark Theme” slider.
The screen should revert to the classic YouTube color pattern momentarily.
Activating Dark Mode on an Android Device
If you’ve found the dark mode useful on your PC, you might also want to switch your YouTube app on your Android phone to the dark side. To do so, follow these steps:
- Launch the YouTube App on your phone.
- Tap on your profile icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Next, tap on the “Settings” tab in the main menu.
- After that, open the “General” tab.
- Finally, tap the “Dark theme” slider to activate YouTube’s dark mode on your phone.
When you decide to go back to the light theme, repeat these steps.
Activating Dark Mode on an iOS Device
If you want to bring the benefits of YouTube’s dark mode to your iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:
- Launch the YouTube App on your iOS device.
- Tap your profile icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Once the main menu opens, tap the “Settings” tab.
- There, you should tap on the “Dark theme” slider to immediately turn on YouTube’s dark mode.
When you decide to switch back to the light side, repeat the entire process.
Beyond the Dark and Light
YouTube’s color scheme is among the most recognizable on the internet. However, the dark mode’s blue light is easier on the eyes, especially in the evening. Moreover, it will be easier on your roommates, as it is far less bright than the standard mode. What’s most important, you won’t have to suffer during the transition, there will be no pain and anger, and you can always switch back to the light side.