How To Download Torrents Directly on to an Android Device
Torrenting a file can be quicker and more convenient than a direct download, especially if you want to download a large file quickly. You also won’t need to re-download it from scratch if the connection breaks.
Most people use Windows for torrenting. But there is also a wide range of Android apps you can use to download torrent files.
This article will explain how to download torrented files directly to your Android smartphone, and which torrent apps are the best.
What Can I Download with a Torrent App?
Before you start downloading torrent files to your smartphone, you should know which files you can open. You can download files from any torrent, but the Android system will not be able to open all of them.
For example, if you download an EXE file, it will remain in your download folder, but the system won’t recognize it. That is because EXE is a Windows executable file. On the other hand, if your torrent is full of MP3 music files, you will be able to play them.
But you can move or copy any file that you download from your torrent client to other devices, using various sharing methods. For example, you can download an EXE file on Android and copy it to your PC via USB or through cloud sharing.
How to Download Torrents to Android
Before you download torrents, you have to set up the proper conditions.
Downloading Torrent files usually takes up a lot of bandwidth. If you are using cellular data with a limited package, your bill may be astronomical.
Before you start your downloading, make sure that you are connected to a Wi-Fi network with your smartphone. In most torrent apps, you can toggle an option to stop all downloads if the device is not connected to a Wi-Fi network.
Download and Install Torrent App
Despite its reputation as a tool to distribute copyrighted files, torrent clients are completely legal. Many people use them to conveniently share freeware or their own files. You can find plenty of torrent clients on the Play store for free.
Some of the most popular torrent apps are:
- uTorrent – This is the most popular torrent client on all devices. You choose your download location and you can enable an option for Wi-Fi-only downloads.
- BitTorrent – The app is basically the same as uTorrent, and it’s from the same manufacturer, but it also promotes a lot of legal content that you can get for free.
- Flud – A reliable torrent client with a very simple and easy-to-use interface. It has support for large files and RSS feeds. Also, it has a great magnet link support, as it can recognize magnet links from your browser. Its interface is nicely optimized for tablets and you can also download a few different themes.
- FrostWire – This client has a built-in torrent search engine, music player, media library, and many other interesting additions. If a torrent has several files in it, you can choose which one to download.
- LibreTorrent – LibreTorrent is a lot less popular but it’s both effective and simple to use. It doesn’t use up a lot of resources yet does all the basics right.
When you find a torrent app that suits you at the Play Store, just tap on the ‘Install’ button and wait for the app to install.
Download Torrent Files from Torrent Websites
Now that you have an app that recognizes torrent files, you can find torrents on your own. Some torrent apps have a built-in search engine, but it can be more convenient to find torrent websites with your browser.
If you’re not sure where to start, just type ‘torrent’ in your search engine and see which websites come up first. Pick one, and in the search bar type the name of the file that you want to download.
You should choose a torrent with a good number of seeders and then download it. When you open it, it will load in the torrent client app and it will start downloading to your designated storage.
You can change the download destination in the ‘Settings’ menu of each app. The best place to download torrent files is where you have the most available space, like an external memory card.
Download Torrents Carefully
You should be careful when downloading torrent files, as not all available files are legal or safe. There is always a risk of downloading malicious software or copyrighted content. So don’t forget to investigate the source before you tap the ‘Download’ button.