Imagine this – you’ve prepared some popcorn and sat in front of your big screen. You hit the Play button, but something is blinking on the TVscreen – HBO GO Can’t Play Video.
There are few things as annoying as this. But before you throw something at your TV or lose the will to watch anything, here are a couple of quick fixes you can try. They may resolve the issue so you can go back to enjoying the show.
Possible Fixes for HBO GO Streaming
- Possible Fixes for HBO GO Streaming
- Quick Fixes for Quick Fun
It’s not uncommon to see an error from time to time when you’re trying to stream HBO GO. These are possible solutions if your message says, “Can’t Play Video.”
1. Stop Streaming on Multiple Devices
If this is the issue, you will see the following message on your screen: “You’re streaming HBO GO on too many devices simultaneously. To continue, stop streaming HBO GO on another device.”
That means the streaming service may be overloaded. So, if you want to stream something on your TV, turn off streaming on other devices. If you’re not streaming on multiple devices and you think the message appeared for no reason, try signing out and restarting your device.
2. Restart the HBO GO App
Sometimes, there’s a bug you can only solve if you delete the app and install it again. Do the following:
- Delete the app from the device.
- Restart the device.
- Install any available updates on that device.
- Install the HBO GO app again and try streaming the desired movie or TV show episode.
3. Clear System Cache
Clearing system cache and cookies may also solve your issue. Follow these steps:
- In the top right corner of the browser, there’s a Menu tab. Click to open it.
- Click on Settings in the drop-down menu.
- Find the Advanced option and select it. Under Privacy and Security, choose Delete Navigation Data.
- Choose All hours and enable the Images and cached files and Cookies and other page data options.
- Select Delete data.
Now that cache and cookies are successfully deleted, go back to check if the problem is still there.
4. Enable Flash Player
Your Flash Player may not be working and therefore causing streaming issues. You can check if Flash Player is enabled by doing the following:
- Launch Chrome and click on the three-dot icon (More) in the top right corner of the window.
- Choose Settings.
- In the search bar, enter Flash.
- Select Flash Player and click on Allow websites to run Flash.
Try streaming something to check if this solved the problem.
5. Check the Device You’re Streaming on
Whether you’re streaming on your smart TV, a computer, or a game console, you should check if everything is working as it’s supposed to. Turn off the device, wait for a few minutes and then turn it on again. Maybe it lost connection to your Wi-Fi, or there is a software bug. In any case, restart the device.
6. Check Your Wi-Fi
Remember that the best download speed for successfully streaming HBO GO is 3mbps. If you’ve tried different videos and none of them can play, try restarting your router or your modem. Maybe your Internet connection died or slowed down too much. Moving the router closer to the device you’re streaming from may also make sense. If they’re too far, the signal may not be strong enough.
If you manage to stream the video, but there’s skipping, buffering, and similar problems, your internet connection is the most likely culprit.
7. Turn off Ad Blockers, Incognito Windows, and VPNs
All of the above can interrupt your streaming service. Remove ad blocking extensions from your browser, close all Incognito windows or VPNs and see if you can stream HBO GO content.
8. Try Streaming from Another Device
If you’re still not sure why HBO GO refuses to cooperate, try another device before you contact HBO support. If you can play videos from other devices, the problem is in the device you used initially. Repeat some of the steps we described above, and if nothing works, you can always call the HBO customer support.
Quick Fixes for Quick Fun
The sooner you solve the issue, the sooner you’ll be able to enjoy HBO GO again. Hopefully, one of them will work. If not, the quickest solution is to ask professionals for help.
Have you experienced trouble streaming HBO GO? Which one of these solutions helped you? If you have another fix, share your suggestion in the comments section below.