How To Fix WiFi Issues On Galaxy S8 And S8 Plus
If you have the new Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus, you may have come across some of the reported WiFi issues that have been pointed out by some users.
The device can have problems with weak connectivity. Some users have complained that the phone stay connected to weak WiFi points and generally can struggle to maintain strong internet signals.
Here we provide a few solutions to this increasingly common issue.
Stop your S8 switching from WiFi to Data randomly
The Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus has a setting that is based on WLAN connection options. It enables the phones to switch between a WiFi and Mobile Data connection in attempt to maintain a steady Internet signal for the user. The setting can be found as the “Smart network switch”. You can adjust this setting to stop this automatic switch from taking place.
Slow WiFi issues
Slow WiFi can also be a major issue. Many users have complained about suffering dampened Internet connections when using apps like Facebook and other large scale social networks. It can be possible for images and media to come up as grey areas or simply take far too long to load.
The phone might be showing you a good signal, but still present these annoying issues. Here are a few solutions you can try.
Forget a saved Wi-Fi network
Follow these steps to delete a saved network.
- Open the Settings menu.
- Find and enter the WiFi section.
- Search and find the network that you want to forget.
- Then tap and hold on it until the option to “forget” it comes up.
- “Modify” will also show, this can be a helpful way to change the Wi-Fi password saved on Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus.
Wipe cache partition
Follow these steps to wipe the cache partition.
- Turn your device off.
- Hold the power button, volume up and home all at the same time.
- This will start recovery mode.
- Find the option to “wipe cache partition”.
- After a few minutes the process will be finished and you will be able to find the option to reboot.
Turn Wifi off if the signal is weak
Follow these steps to turn the WiFi on Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus off if the Internet signal is weak.
- Start at the Menu.
- Find Settings.
- Tap Connections.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap ON/OFF next to Wi-Fi.
Stop “smart network switch”
Follow these steps to stop the phone from switching to data automatically.
- Make sure the device is on.
- Turn on mobile data.
- Go to Menu
- Open Settings
- Find Wireless.
- Find the option “Smart network switch”
- Uncheck this option.
Now the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus will no longer switch from WiFi to data without your permission.
If none of the above helped you, it may be advisable to see technical support for your device. Taking the phone to a trained repair professional can be the best option. If there is a fault with the device, you may be able to have a repair executed for you, or a replacement provided.