Is Kasa Compatible with Alexa?
A smart home is no longer something to expect from the future but something to enjoy in the present. The TP-Link Kasa Smart products and Kasa app have made the daily lives of many easier to manage. But can you expect even more convenience by connecting Kasa to your Alexa device?
The answer is yes, you can. The Kasa app is compatible with Alexa devices, but it’s important to set everything up correctly. In this article, we’re going to guide you through a three-step process of connecting the Kasa app to your Amazon Echo device.
Bringing Kasa and Alexa Together
Before you get to enjoy the ease of telling Alexa to turn off the lamp in your office, when you’re already cozy in bed, you have to take a few crucial steps. The first one is to acquire a TP-Link Smart home device of your choice.
Whether that’s the indoor smart plug, or even outdoor plug, or the security camera that will ease your mind when you’re away. And if you already have the Amazon Echo device, here are the three necessary setups you have to go through.
1. Create a TP-Link Product Account
To set up the Kasa app correctly, you first have to register the smart device you have with TP-Link. Creating an account is a straightforward process. Here’s what you have to do:
- Go to the TP-Link product registration page.
- Select “Sign up.”
- Enter an email address and a password.
- An activation email will be sent to your email. Open it and click to confirm your registration. Keep in mind that this link will only be valid for one hour.
- Go back to the TP-Link registration page and log into your account.
2. Connect Your Kasa Device with the Kasa App
This is where you get to see the magic of controlling your devices with a tap on the screen. For the sake of clarity, let’s say you’re using a mini smart plug to connect your office lamp. Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure that the lamp is plugged into the smart mini plug.
- Download the Kasa app on your mobile device. There’s an Android and an iOS.
- Open the app and click on the “+” icon on the top right of the screen.
- Choose your device from the list of available devices.
- Select “Next” when you see the plug blinking orange and blue.
- When prompted, enter your Wi-Fi password.
- Name your device and choose the icon you want. You can even take a picture of the device.
That’s all there is to it. To make sure you’ve correctly configurated it, find the device in the list of devices and tap the on/off switch. If it’s working as it should, you’re ready for the next step.
3. Connect Kasa App and Amazon Alexa
The previous step is essential to ensure you can get Alexa to do all the heavy lifting from now on. So, once you’re sure that things are running smoothly with the Kasa app and your devices, you should do the following:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Amazon Alexa app, Android, or iOS.
- From the bottom right corner, select “Devices.”
- Now, from the top right corner, select the “+” icon.
- Select “Add a Device,” and from the pop-up list, select the device of your choice (mini plug).
- You’ll be prompted to identify the brand of your device, so choose “TP-Link Kasa.”
- You’ll be asked to confirm if you’ve done the previous step regarding setting up the Kasa app. If so, select “Continue.”
- You’ll be re-directed to another page where you should click on the “Enable to Use” option.
- You’ll be asked to enter the email and password you used to register for the TP-Link account.
- Close this window and select the “Discover Devices” option in the Alexa app.
- Then, select “Setup Device.”
If you’ve entered all the information correctly, the Amazon Alexa and Kasa Smart device will be successfully linked. To make sure everything is working as it’s supposed to, you can ask Alexa to perform a task. Just make sure to use the name you’ve assigned to the Kasa Smart device.
Make the Most of Kasa with Alexa
There are many setup options in the Kasa app that you can extend to Alexa too. Having the devices in your home with the voice command can be incredibly practical. If you have more than one Kasa home device, you can create a group with the Alexa app.
If you’re using the Kasa smart Switch, asking Alexa to dim the lights is also something you can do. But even when you’re not at home, a few taps on the Kasa app will ensure that your home is smart and safe.
Do you use Kasa and Alexa together? Let us know in the comments section below.