If you want to know how to make Echo Dot portable, all the advice online tells you the same thing – you need to buy an external battery. True, these batteries can be useful, but they aren’t strictly necessary. You can use your Echo Dot as a Bluetooth speaker even without them.
In fact, you can do that with any Echo device, not just the Echo Dot. But how? Keep reading, you’re about to learn all about it. This article has all the useful tips, tricks, and instructions you need to get the most out of your Echo Dot.
Note that in order to make Echo Dot portable without any batteries or other tools, you’ll need to have another device such as a tablet, or a smartphone. You can then play music from your mobile device onto an Echo Dot.
All you need is the Alexa app, which you can download from the official Apple App Store or Google Play Store for your iOS or Android device, respectively. You’ll be using Bluetooth to make the Echo Dot portable, so make sure that Bluetooth is working on both your devices.
If you have a decent enough music library on your device, then you won’t even need an internet connection to play music through your Echo Dot. We’ll get to that later, now let’s focus on the pairing.
How to Pair the Echo Dot to a Mobile Device
Nowadays, Bluetooth technology is used for almost anything. It’s all around us, and makes our lives much easier. Since all modern devices support Bluetooth, it’s logical to use it to your advantage, even on your Echo Dot.
What Bluetooth does is simple, it makes your Echo Dot portable, and it’s totally free. There’s no need for external batteries or anything like that when you have a mobile device. And not to sound like Blizzard with their infamous “Don’t you have phones?” quote, but most people have them. Here’s how to pair your Echo Dot and your mobile device:
- Make sure that your Echo Dot (or another Echo device) isn’t connected to anything via Bluetooth. You can use a voice command: “Alexa, disconnect”.
- Then, enable Bluetooth on your phone or tablet. On most phones, all you need to do is swipe down from the home screen and tap on the Bluetooth icon).
- Next, pair the devices. Tell Alexa to “pair”. In turn, she’ll go on searching for a while until she finds the device.
- Then, choose your Echo Dot for pairing on your phone or tablet. Just tap on its name from the list of available devices for pairing.
- When the pairing is complete, the devices will remember each other. For every further use you can just give a command to Alexa, e.g. pair with Mary’s iPhone.
That is how you pair the Echo Dot with a mobile device to make it portable. Then you can play music and use the Echo Dot as a Bluetooth speaker. This is pretty neat, especially when you look at the prices of Bluetooth speakers from brands such as JBL.
Use Your Echo Dot as a Portable Speaker
The obvious use of Bluetooth on your Echo Dot is to play music. Of course, other audio formats are supported as well, and you can use this feature to listen to your favorite audiobook, podcast, the news, or whatever you like.
Follow the instructions to play music using Amazon Music on your Echo Dot:
- Start Amazon Music using an iOS or Android
- Select the music.
- Tap on the Cast button.
- Choose your Echo Dot.
- Tap cast once more to choose another device or disconnect from your Echo Dot.
The Alexa app can be used alternatively for the same purpose:
- Start the Alexa app on your Android or iPhone.
- Select the music you want to play.
- Cast the music to your Echo Dot.
- Just tap the Cast button again when you want to change the device or stop casting.
Why Is This Useful?
Using your Echo Dot as a portable device can come in very handy for a number of reasons. You can use it to replace your mobile device’s speakers if they’re not working or. Also, Echo Dot devices actually have really good audio quality for their price.
And just so you know, the third generation of Echo Dot has the best sound compared to other devices. Sometimes, when you’re on your phone or tablet, you just want to carry over listening to the content you’re currently listening to. No matter if you want it on another device or in another room, Echo Dot can help you with that.
In fact, these devices are so cheap, that it makes sense to have one in each room for maximum convenience. That way, you can easily skip between Dots as you please, without ever interrupting your routine.
Enjoy the Convenience
Echo Dot is all about making things seamless and easy. People often overlook its Bluetooth properties and the fact it can be portable, without any additional upgrades. True, you do need a mobile device for this, but most modern households have at least one, if not more of these devices.
This makes far more sense than to buy expensive batteries or separate Bluetooth speakers which can be very pricey. What’s your favorite thing to do on your Echo Dot? Let us know in the comments section below.