How to Fix Charging Problems On Your OnePlus 5
If you have a OnePlus 5 smartphone, you are aware that it is one of the most advanced and well-designed smartphones on the market today. However, no phone is without glitches, and the OnePlus 5 is not an exception. One problem commonly encountered by smartphone owners is difficulties with charging the phone.
The most common types of charging problems include the OnePlus 5 not charging, the OnePlus 5 grey battery problem, and the circumstance where the OnePlus 5 won’t turn on after charging. In this guide I will present some basic troubleshooting techniques to help you resolve your OnePlus 5 charging problem.
Causes of OnePlus 5 Not Charging Problem
- Causes of OnePlus 5 Not Charging Problem
- How To Fix OnePlus 5 Slow Charging Problem
- Close Background Applications
- Reset OnePlus 5
- Uninstall Third-Party Apps
- How To Fix OnePlus 5 That Won’t Switch ON After Charging
- Hit the Power Button
- Boot to Safe Mode
- Boot into Recovery Mode and Clear Cache Partition
- How To Fix OnePlus 5 Not Charging Grey Battery Problem
- Clean the USB Port
- System Dump
- Get Support From Authorized Technician
Some common causes of OnePlus 5 charging problems include:
- Damaged battery
- Phone is defective
- Grey battery problem
- Temporary phone problem
- Faulty charging unit or cable
- Broken, bent or pushed in connectors on the OnePlus 5 or battery
How To Fix OnePlus 5 Slow Charging Problem
If your OnePlus 5 is experiencing charging problems, the charger cable should be the first thing you check. Sometimes the charger cable may have lost the proper connection or have been damaged. Try switching to another USB cable that works to see if the issue is with the cable before purchasing a new cable.
Close Background Applications
If you have a lot of apps running in the background, this can be a reason for slow charging. The following steps will close apps running in the background:
- Hold the “Home” button and let it go when you see the recently used apps screen
- Select “End all applications” in the task manager section
- Select it and clear memory at the top of the screen
Reset OnePlus 5
A soft reboot may sometimes help with your OnePlus 5 not charging. This method often fixes the charging issue on the OnePlus 5, even if only temporarily. Press and hold the Side Button until you see a prompt, and choose “Restart.”
Uninstall Third-Party Apps
A software bug may be the reason for the OnePlus 5 charging slowly if none of the above methods have worked. The best solution would be to uninstall all third-party software to check if you have fixed the charging problem on the OnePlus 5. The phone needs to go into “Safe Mode” Before you can uninstall third-party apps that may be causing the slow charging problem. To turn on the safe mode:
- Turn off your phone
- Hold the power button
- Let go the power button and hold the volume down button when you see “OnePlus 5” on the screen
- Keep on holding the button until the phone restarts
- Release the button once you see “safe mode” appears at the bottom of the screen
From there, third-party apps are uninstalled from your OnePlus 5 by navigating to Menu> Settings> More> Application manager, Downloaded> choose the application you want to uninstall, then click on Uninstall> Ok. After that, turn off safe mode by pressing and holding the Power Button> Restart> Ok.
How To Fix OnePlus 5 That Won’t Switch ON After Charging
Some OnePlus 5 owners have reported that the OnePlus 5 won’t turn on or power after charging even if the OnePlus is fully charged. Below are lists of different ways to fix the issues.
Hit the Power Button
Press the “Power” button several times to ensure that there isn’t simply an issue with the button itself.
Boot to Safe Mode
Your OnePlus 5 will run only pre-loaded apps when it boots into “Safe Mode.” If booting into Safe Mode resolves the issue, then you know the problem is probably related to an app. Follow the steps below to boot your OnePlus 5 to safe mode.
- Press and hold the Power button
- Release the Power button after the OnePlus screen appears and then press and hold the Volume Down button
- The Safe Mode text will display in the bottom left corner of the screen when the phone restarts
Boot into Recovery Mode and Clear Cache Partition
This technique will get the OnePlus 5 into Recovery Mode.
- Press & hold the Home, Power, and Volume Up buttons
- Let go the Power button when the phone vibrates while you still keep holding the Home and Volume up buttons until when the Android System Recovery screen shows
- Highlight “clear cache partition” using the “Volume Down” button and click on the Power button to select it
- The OnePlus 5 will reboot automatically after the cache partition is clear
How To Fix OnePlus 5 Not Charging Grey Battery Problem
Some OnePlus 5 users report that they started experiencing not charging/grey battery problems after dropping their phone. Damaged charging ports or cables could be the main reason why the OnePlus 5 is not charging and the grey battery problem occurs. In addition, debris or dust in the charging port could also lead to charging problems. Try the following methods for fixing these issues.
Clean the USB Port
Charging problems may be caused by debris blocking the physical connections in the charging port. Dirt, dust and lint can get between the metal pins of the charging cable and charging port, preventing electricity from flowing. If this is the case, gently swab the connection port with a toothpick to remove any debris. Be careful not to damage the connector pins.
A system mode dump will debug the phone and allow the execution of different functions. It’s also a useful function to give your network speed a boost. You can perform a system dump using the steps below.
- Go to “Dialer”
- Type in (*#9900#)
- Select “Low Battery Dump” at the bottom of the menu
- Select “Turn On”
Get Support From Authorized Technician
We suggest taking the smartphone to a cell phone technician and get it checked out if none of the above methods work for fixing the OnePlus 5 not charging problem.