How to Add Magnet Links to uTorrent
When you get the hang of it, uTorrent is simple to use. Like most other bit torrent clients, uTorrent also uses magnet links to download torrents. Magnet links replace torrent files, just by clicking on them, or adding them to your torrent client, such as uTorrent, starts the download.
Yes, you can download a torrent file and add it to uTorrent to begin downloading. But why would you do that? Magnet links are much more convenient and simple. Read on for more information about them, how to add magnet links to uTorrent, and how to open them in your browser.
What Are Magnet Links?
Magnet links are the most important piece of information regarding a torrent. They’re a mediator between your browser, the torrent website and your torrent client. With the click of a button, magnet links allow you to download any torrent you want.
They save bandwidth, which helps the torrent sites, and saves the time and storage space of the user as well. By now, most torrent sites have magnet links, since they’re the best way of downloading torrents.
The magnet link looks exactly like it sounds: a tiny magnet icon. You’ve surely seen one when you’ve visited a torrent website. All browsers allow magnet links by default, but if you’re unable to use them, check your browser settings under Privacy of Security, and enable magnet links.
Sometimes, magnet links will be under Handlers, allow this option in any case. This is just a general tip, since there are many different web browsers.
How to Add a Magnet Link to uTorrent
Adding magnet links to uTorrent is rather easy. It equates to downloading files in uTorrent, because once you enter the magnet link and confirm, the torrent in question will start downloading right away. Follow these steps to do so:
- Download uTorrent from the official website, or update it to the latest version. It’s very important that you get the latest update so the program will work properly.
- Open uTorrent on your device.
- Click on the Add Torrent from URL icon, next to the plus (+) sign.
- Then enter the magnet link for the torrent you want to download. You can fetch it from your preferred torrent site. Just right-click the magnet link and copy the link address. When you copy and paste the link, click OK to confirm.
- A new window will appear, called Add New Torrent. You can choose the download destination here, as well as the files you want to exclude if any. When you’re done, click OK.
After that, your torrent will begin downloading immediately.
The Easier Method
Although adding magnet links to uTorrent is simple, there’s an even easier method you can use. The method in question is clicking on magnet links directly from your browser. This will prompt you about opening your dedicated bit torrent client, such as uTorrent.
Then, you’ll be able to choose the download destination and the files you want to download from the torrent, and the download will commence. Simply follow these steps:
- Open a torrent website, such as the Pirate Bay. It’s just an example, but in general, the Pirate Bay has the best interface. More importantly, it’s also the most used torrent website, resulting in the fastest download speeds.
- Find the torrent you’d like to download. You can click on the magnet link below it right away, like shown below.
- Or you can click on the torrent name, and click on Get This Torrent on the next window.
- Both options have the same result. Your browser will prompt you about opening uTorrent. Click on it.
- Then, uTorrent will open, and you’ll be able to choose the download location and files. When done, click OK and your torrent will start downloading.
Remember to always use a VPN (virtual private network) service when downloading torrents. All torrents are illegal since they don’t follow the copyright laws. If you don’t use a VPN, you can get into serious trouble. Most likely, you’ll have to pay a large fine.
There are many VPN services out there, but ExpressVPN is probably the best. It’s inexpensive, reliable, safe, and fast. You can use it for torrenting on multiple devices, including tablets, laptops, desktops, smartphones, etc.
If you don’t want an external VPN service, you can also get the premium uTorrent deal with the built-in VPN. Check it out at their official website. There’s also an ad-free version of uTorrent. Frankly, the free version is just fine, as long as you have a VPN running on all your devices.
Convenience Above Everything
Magnet links are very simple and convenient. They allow us to download torrents easily, without any hassle. What’s your preferred way of using them? Do you add them directly to uTorrent, or you click on them on your browser and begin downloading right away?
When all’s said and done, this is mostly a thing of habit. I’ve been using the browser method for years, and it works best for me. Perhaps you’ll prefer adding magnet links to uTorrent. Either way, let us know your opinion in the comments section below, and remember to run a VPN with uTorrent at all times.