The AirPods upgrade to the Pro version is a welcome change for Apple users. But before you can take full advantage, you need to make sure that they fit properly.
If you’re an Apple veteran, you probably already know how to get a snug fit from a brand-new pair of AirPods.
However, if you’re new to the world of Apple AirPods, you may need a little help. Getting the right fit can help you experience a richer bass sound and more effective noise cancellation.
Take a look below to find out how to get the perfect fit with your AirPod Pro tips.
Ear Tip Sizing
If you’ve ever bought any type of earbuds, you know that the package typically comes with different sized ear cushions. Well, the AirPods do, too!
You receive three ear tip sizes with your AirPods Pro, but Apple attaches the medium size automatically. That means that when you open the package, you already have the medium tips pre-installed.
Of course, you can always double-check the ear tip size when you take the AirPods out of the package. Etched on the inside, near the base, you’ll see an S, M, or L. Unroll the edge to take a look at the ear tip size attached.
Maybe you already tried the medium ear tips, and something didn’t seem right. No matter how much you adjust them, you aren’t getting the right fit.
If the medium-sized tips feel too big or uncomfortable, you may need the smaller tip. On the other hand, if you just can’t seem to get a good seal, the larger ear tip may be in order.
Changing Ear Tips
Removing and replacing AirPod tips is a relatively simple process.
- First, you need to remove the existing ear tip from your AirPods. To do so, simply pinch firmly at the base of the tip and pull.
- If you’re hesitant about pulling too hard, don’t worry! You won’t damage the tip. They’re remarkably resilient! Just keep pulling until you feel the base detach.
- Next, it’s time to attach your new tips.
- Grasp the full part of the ear tip near the base between your thumb and forefinger. Align it with the connector part of the AirPod. The opening is oval-shaped, so you may need to squeeze slightly to get the right shape.
- Gently push the ear tip onto the opening for the Airpod. You’ll know it’s secure when you hear it click into place.
The Ear Tip Test
Did you pick the right tip size for your ears?
Apple makes it easy to check sound quality and noise cancellation with their Ear Tip Test. Here’s how:
- To start the test, place the AirPods in your ears and grab your iPhone or another iOS device.
- Go to the Settings menu on your iPhone and select Bluetooth.
- Go down the Bluetooth list until you get to your AirPods. Tap on the little blue “I” with the circle around it. That’s the Info button.
- Select the Ear Tip Fit Test option and then Continue and Play buttons when prompted. The test may make suggestions by adjusting the ear tips or trying a different one altogether. Follow the suggestions and try running the test again.
If you don’t see an option for the Ear Fit Test, you may need to upgrade your iOS. The test is available on iOS and iPadOS systems that run 13.2 versions or later.
Before You Go
If you tried everything and still can’t get your AirPods Pro to seal properly, you may need to try different sizes for each ear.
Try using different combinations of tips and running the Ear Test until you find one that fits just right. And if you still can’t get a comfortable fit, you can always try aftermarket AirPods Pro accessories like memory foam tips and ear hooks.
Do you have a story about changing the tips Apple Airpods Pro that you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments section below.