Amazon Echo Dot is a cute smart home device that’s incredibly powerful for its price and size. Since Echo Dot can fit in the palm of your hand, it could easily be mislaid. Someone may also steal your Echo Dot, which is rather unfortunate.
What should you do if your Echo Dot is stolen? You should report the incident to Amazon, straight away. You need to deregister your Echo Dot when it falls into the wrong hands. Keep reading to find out how to do so. Sorry to break it to you, but you probably won’t see it again.
Addressing the Elephant in the Room
Before we get to reporting the stolen Echo Dot to Amazon, it makes sense to call the police first, right? Although that’s true, and you have every right to report the matter, it’s unlikely that the police will react in any way that will bring your Echo Dot back.
Echo Dot isn’t an expensive gadget – it costs about $40 at most – therefore the police won’t be too interested in retrieving it if it is the only thing stolen from you. Also, Amazon has some pretty shady policies about situations like these.
Allegedly, some people who had their Echo Dot stolen got this response from the police: Amazon won’t release the information about the person who stole and deregistered their product without a court order.
Logically, people won’t take this to court if it’s only about a cheap Echo Dot. Still, it’s pretty bad that a tech giant like Amazon has such a poor policy about their stolen products. It feels like they’re protecting the culprit. Take this information with a pinch of salt, however, as these are unofficial claims made by people online.
Our advice is to report the incident to the police, either way, just don’t get your hopes up about retrieving your Echo Dot from the culprit.
How to Report a Stolen Echo Dot to Amazon
It’s not a bad idea to deregister your device prior to informing the Amazon customer support. This will prevent the thief from using your Echo Dot to make online purchases using your account. Follow these steps:
- Log into your Amazon account on any other device.
- Click on Manage Your Content and Devices.
- Click on Devices.
- Select your Amazon Echo Dot and click the three dots button (actions), and copy the device’s serial number. You’ll need to give it to the customer service.
- Finally, click on Deregister and confirm by clicking Deregister once more.
Now, let’s talk about reporting stolen Amazon devices. This applies to all Amazon products, not just the Echo Dot. Follow the steps below to report the issue to Amazon:
- Contact Amazon’s customer service either via this link or by calling the number 00 1 206-922-0880.
- Explain the situation to them and they’ll mark your Echo Dot as lost or stolen.
- Furthermore, this will prevent the culprit from registering your Echo Dot to their Amazon account. Unfortunately, this is the only thing you can do. You’ll have to rely on customer support to be quick and effective.
Not Much You Can Do
The sad reality is that you can’t do much when your Amazon Echo Dot is stolen. Make sure to deregister the device so that the criminal can’t use your Amazon account to make purchases in your name. And like we said, don’t be too hopeful about getting your Echo Dot back.
It’s simpler to get a new one than to go to court and sue the person who stole it. Luckily, Echo Dots aren’t expensive. Your Amazon account is much more valuable, so keep it safe. It’s your right to report the incident to the authorities.
What are your thoughts? Leave them in the comments section below. Hopefully, nothing else was stolen from you.