How To Fix Galaxy S8 And Galaxy S8 Plus Power And Volume Buttons Not Working
When you’ve picked your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus, you were probably impressed with all its great feature, the sleek design, the enhanced camera settings or the extended battery life. Little did you think back then that you could experience problems with the Power or the Volume buttons becoming unresponsive.
If you’re dealing with it now and you’re thinking it’s a hardware issue, think again. You would be surprised by how many users actually dealt with software problems that prevented these buttons from working. Of course, it doesn’t mean that your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus may not actually have a physical problem. But before you decide it’s the hardware and take it into service, consider the following issues:
- Try to reset the device by long pressing the Power and the Volume Down keys – hold them like that for a couple of seconds until the phone will restart and when that happens, the buttons may be working perfectly once again.
- Try to deactivate the Car Mode – some users discovered that their smartphones stopped responding to the Power and Volume keys when being in the Car Mode. If your device is on that mode as well, toggle it off and then back on to see if it changes anything.
- Try to update your phone to the latest software version available – if it is, indeed, a software problem, being up to date is essential so navigate to Settings and tap on Software Update under the About Device section.
- Try to verify some of the recently installed third-party apps – if you can remember that the problem triggered soon after installing a new app, you can easily test this cause in Safe Mode. By accessing this mode, you are actually cutting the access to all the previously installed third-party apps. If your Power and Volume keys are working under Safe Mode, you have all the reasons to start investigating in this direction. You will have to manually uninstall these apps until you fix the problem. But until there, here is how to boot a Galaxy S8 smartphone in Safe Mode:
- Power off the device;
- Press and hold the Power key;
- Release it when you see the Samsung logo on the display;
- Press and hold the Volume Down key;
- Only release the Volume Down key when the restarting process has finished and you see the Safe Mode text on the display.
- Try to restore the device to its factory defaults – this is a radical solution that deletes everything but that should also “delete” your problem. Make sure you create a backup first, so you will get to keep your personal data, photos, and whatever settings you have in there and then activate the Factory Data Reset option from Settings, Backup & Reset.
With these five solutions presented from the simplest to the most complex approach, you should be able to make the Power and the Volume buttons of your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus work once again. Unfortunately, if you tried them all and nothing worked, you can suspect a hardware problem.
It doesn’t have to be a very serious or complicated issue, but it is best to let a technician open up the device and use the right tools and knowledge to fix whatever it finds broken in there. Whether you still have a warranty on it or not, this smartphone is probably too expensive for you to make experiments on its hardware components!