Mac OS Sierra: How To Fix Sound Not Working Problem
For those that have recently updated to Mac OS Sierra, you may want to know how to fix the volume not working problem. Many Apple users have been complaining after upgrading to OS Sierra sound now working like no audio, audio control not working and audio noise. Don’t worry the OS Sierra on sound feature is the new default setting, but it can be adjusted to have sound effects like on previous OS X versions. The OS Sierra audio not working is just one of the minor issues that Apple’s new OS X release has. The following will help you fix OS Sierra audio, volume and sound not working issues.
The following are the examples of common Audio issues Mac users reported after upgrading to OS Sierra:
- Mac users get popping noise when playing video or audio.
- Audio settings already set on internal speakers but no sound in Safari, but works on everything else.
- Can’t adjust volume for speakers. But speaker volume buttons on keyboard & Sound Output slider on System Preferences still works.
- No audio in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome when playing videos after OS Sierra update.
Restart the Apple Computer
Restart your iMac, MacBook Air, Macbook Pro, or MacBook Pro with Retina Display.
Adjust Output Source
In OS Sierra, the sound output changes from default to installed HDMI display speakers. If you have any external device which is attached with speakers, Mac wants to make that output device.
Go to System Preferences -> Sound and change the output device to Internal speakers.
Change System Preferences
Go to System Preferences -> Sound. Then select the “Play Feedback when volume is changed” box.
Change System Preferences
Go to System Preferences-> sound and put the tick on “Show volume in menu bar”
Run terminal and type sudo killall coreaudiod
Change Internal Speakers Settings
Go to Settings -> Audio -> Output.
Changing the settings for internal speaker.
Use a Bootable USB Drive
Backup computer. Create bootable OS Sierra USB drive. Install OS Sierra in your Mac internal hard drive using bootable USB drive.
Adjust Audio Port Settings
If you using HDMI external display with sound, some user thoughts HDMI sound devices no longer controllable on OSX
Go to System Preferences ->sound and change from HDMI to Headphone port.
Restart Apple System Using PRAM
- Shout down your Mac computer.
- Find Option, Command (⌘), P, and R keys in your keyboard.
- Turn on your Mac.
- Press and hold Option-Command-P-R keys combination before the gray screen appears. Continue holding keys down until computer restarts and the startup sound for the second time, then release those keys.