Yes, it can. In 2017, Postmates added alcohol to their broad spectrum of delivery items (if food and groceries are still the most popular). Regarding wine, specifically, Postmates deliver a vast selection of wine from many established wineries, specialized shops, and cafes.
Of course, you need to meet specific requirements to be eligible for wine delivery. All of which will be further discussed in this article. You’ll also learn about the entire procedure, which markets have wine delivery (Postmates don’t deliver wine across the whole U.S.), and how to make an order yourself.
Before we get into the details, here are the requirements you have to meet for wine to be delivered to your doorstep:
- You have to be present at the moment of delivery. No one else can take your order instead.
- Also, you need to have a valid I.D. card with a photo. Any such card will do. Note that the Postmate might have to take a picture of the I.D., but they won’t save it.
- Most importantly, you have to be 21 or older. No minors are allowed to get wine delivery.
- The Postmate won’t hand you the wine if you seem drunk. A quick tip, order alcohol with Postmates before the party, not during the party.
These are the basic requirements for wine delivery, according to the Postmates support website. If you fail to meet any of them, the return will be fined for $15 flat amount (as of now).
Where Do Postmates Deliver Wine?
Postmates has been around since 2011, but it only started delivering alcohol two and a half years ago. There are strict laws and rules regarding alcohol delivery, but Postmates probably got involved when they saw the competition step up into this market (DoorDash).
Initially, alcohol delivery via Postmates was only available in L.A. and San Francisco, the company’s home town. Now, alcohol is available in over 20 locations. You can check out the specific cities on the Postmates alcohol delivery page.
How to Order Wine with Postmates
As you can see, Postmates offer to deliver a wide array of spirits, beers, champagnes, and wines. Here’s how to order wine with Postmates:
- Sign in to the Postmates Android or iOS app, or website.
- Enter your address in the search field, or simply choose Use Current Location.
- Tap on Drinks.
- Then, select the Categories, and pick Wine from the dropdown list.
- As you can see, the wines will be sorted too (white wine, red wine, rose, etc.). They all have convenient price tags. Click on the wine you like, and press Add to Cart at the bottom of your screen.
- When you’re ready to order, press View Order, finally, tap Checkout at the bottom, and that’s it.
If you wish to order a different kind of alcohol, you can follow the same steps, just select the appropriate drink Category (e.g., beer).
More Useful Info
With Postmates, you can get fully supplied for a birthday, cook-out, or any other type of house party. Our advice is to order some food too, while you’re at it. If you’re planning a romantic evening, for instance, Postmates can deliver your dinner, dessert, and wine all at once.
Again, remember to order alcohol before you get slightly intoxicated as your Postmate might not want to hand you additional drinks otherwise.
Note that their alcohol delivery is very fast too. Postmates claim they’ll get the alcohol to your door in less than 30 minutes, which is impressive. If delivery times can vary, especially during peak hours, also called blitz or surge time. Additional costs apply to peak hours, so beware.
Also, you might get a small cart fee if your order is too small (below $12 in most locations). If you want to save on delivery and service fees with Postmates, consider subscribing to their Unlimited subscription plan, which removes these extra costs.
These plans are inexpensive and useful to people who often order with Postmates (several times a week or more).
Here’s to You
Enjoy your wine, and drink responsibly. Postmates got you covered, no matter if you want food, drinks, or almost other item delivered to your door.
Which types of wine do you like the most? Do you drink wine to complement food, or simply to help get the party started? Is Postmates your go-to drink delivery service, or do you use other services? Let us know in the comments section below.