How To Tell if Someone Read Your Message in Viber
Viber is one of the most popular social apps in the world. Every month, around 260 million people use it to send instant messages, share media, and make audio and video calls.
With most social apps, you can easily see if the recipient of the message read it. For example, Messenger notifies you with ‘seen’ at the bottom of the chat when someone opens a message that you sent them. On WhatsApp, two blue checkmarks next to the message indicate that it has been read.
But what about Viber? Does Viber notify you when someone reads your message?
If you’ve used Viber, you know that it also has a ‘seen’ option. But this doesn’t appear every time you chat with somebody. This is because Viber offers you the option to toggle it on or off so that you can have more control over your in-app experience.
If you want to know if someone has read your message or not, first you need to make sure that you turned on all the necessary options.
Message Status in Viber
When you’re instant messaging someone on Viber, you will notice different icons that represent the delivery status of your message.
1. One checkmark means that the message is still sending. When you send your message, this icon will appear right away and should soon turn to ‘delivered’.
Sometimes the message will remain in ‘sending’ status for some time, and you receive an alert if it fails to deliver. This can happen in various situations, for example:
- The recipient’s phone doesn’t have Internet access.
- The recipient’s phone is off.
- The recipient removed the Viber app from their phone, or the app doesn’t work/is turned off.
2. Two checkmarks indicate that the message is delivered. This appears once the message arrives to your recipient’s phone.
3. Two purple checkmarks mean that the message is seen. When a Viber user opens your message, it will automatically be marked as seen. A ‘seen’ text will appear at the bottom of your chat window.
So, two purple checkmarks and a ‘seen’ alert mean that someone read your message. However, there are instances where a recipient can read a message without Viber sending you any information about it.
Turning Off Read Receipts
If you or the message recipient don’t have your online or seen status on, you won’t know if they read your message. If there’s no ‘seen’ status in any of your Viber conversations, you should check if you turned the option off.
Follow these steps to check whether this setting is on or off:
- Open Viber.
- In the bottom right corner, tap on the ‘More’ icon (three horizontal lines and a blue-white circle).
- Scroll the options until you see ‘Settings’. Tap it and the new menu will open.
- Tap on ‘Privacy’ (lock icon).
- Check if ‘Send seen status’ is turned on. If it isn’t, tap on it to turn it on.
If your seen status is turned on, you should receive ‘seen’ alerts at the bottom of the conversation.
What if you’ve started receiving seen notifications in certain conversations but not in others? In that case, some of your contacts have probably turned off this option.
There is nothing you can do when your friend turns off their seen status, except politely asking them to turn it back on. Otherwise, there won’t be any read receipts when you chat with that person.
Seeing Your Message Via Notifications
If the recipient received your message, maybe they’ve read it without opening the app. When a user turns on message previews in their notifications, they will be able to read a portion of the message without opening the Viber app. In this case, you won’t receive a ‘Seen’ notification.
If you want to enable notifications, here is what you should do:
- Open Viber.
- Tap the ‘More’ icon again.
- Open ‘Settings’.
- Tap on ‘Notifications’ (the bell icon)
- Switch the ‘Show message preview’ toggle on.
Now you will also be able to see a portion of the message without having to open the application. This is useful if you want to leave your seen status enabled, but you don’t always want to notify the sender right away.
Editing or Deleting a Message
Sometimes you can edit or delete a message you sent before it is seen. Here’s how you can delete a message:
- Tap and hold the message.
- Choose ‘Delete for everyone’.
To Edit a message, you should:
- Tap on the message and hold.
- Select Edit.
- Modify the body of the text.
- Tap the checkmark to finish.
If you haven’t received a ‘Seen’ status before you deleted or modified the message, there is a chance that the recipient didn’t see its primary content.
Final Thoughts: There’s No Way to Be Sure
Viber is a great app to socialize and share content with your friends. Like any other messaging app, many of Viber’s users want to know whether or not they can see when someone reads their message.
Unfortunately, with all the options to customize your online and seen status in Viber, you can never know if a recipient really didn’t see a message. Maybe the recipient just didn’t toggle on their ‘seen’ status, or they saw the message via notification preview. Don’t jump to any conclusions based on the status alone.
Did you find this article helpful?