Skype used to be king of the chat apps and certainly the most-used video chat app around. Now smarter, sleeker and more intuitive apps have arrived, Skype isn’t quite as popular as it used to be. Add the fact that it is now owned by Microsoft and the future is murky for the app. If it just isn’t hitting the spot for you, here’s how to delete your Skype account.
Unlike other apps, Skype makes it quite difficult to fully delete an account. Initially, you simply deactivate it as there is no option to fully delete it. Rather than providing an option to delete within the portal like many apps, you have to live chat with a customer service rep to fully delete the account. Even then, it can take up to two weeks to fully delete everything.
Delete your Skype account
First you have to delete all the personal information from your Skype account so you no longer appear in directories or anywhere online.
- Log into your Skype account.
- Cancel any live subscriptions by clicking Auto recharge under Billing and payments. Select Disable.
- Remove your payment method.
- Set your online status to offline.
- Click Edit Profile under Settings and Preferences.
- Click Edit under Personal Information.
- Delete all information within the form. If it won’t save while blank, fill it with random characters and hit Save.
Once complete, you now need to log a request with Skype Customer Services to delete your account.
- Navigate to the Skype account closure webpage.
- Choose one of the selections and follow the instructions within. The instructions differ depending on which option you choose.
- Alternatively, follow this link to Customer Services.
- Select your issue and then click Next.
- You can elect to text chat or post an issue in the community. Only text chat with an official Skype representative can close your account. The community is not an official part of Skype staff.
- Click Start chat when ready and work with the representative to close your account.
As you can see, Skype really doesn’t want you to leave and does everything it can get away with to prevent you deleting your account. As mentioned above, it can take up to two weeks to fully delete your details from Skype. Even after that, your username will still be present on your contact’s address books but they won’t be able to contact you any more.
If you do choose to delete your Skype account, it is permanent. That means losing all your contacts, chat history, settings and everything associated with the account. You will have to create a new account from the beginning should you wish to return to the app.
I haven’t ever deleted my Skype account so have no experience of the rest of the process. Have any of you done it? How long did it actually take? Tell us about it below.