How to Delete Your Skype Account
If you’ve moved on from Skype to Zoom or another popular, more modern alternative, you might want to go ahead and delete your Skype account.
Unlike other apps, Skype makes it quite difficult to delete an account entirely. While it’s easy to find out how to deactivate your account, you’ll have to take a few extra steps to permanently delete it.
Let’s take a look at how you can quickly and permanently delete your Skype account.
How to Delete Your Skype Account
First, you have to delete all the personal information from your Skype account, so you no longer appear in directories or anywhere online.
- Log into your Skype account.
- Cancel any live subscriptions by clicking Auto recharge under Billing and payments. Select Disable.
- Remove your payment method.
- Set your online status to offline.
- Click Edit Profile under Settings and Preferences.
- Click Edit under Personal Information.
- Delete all information within the form. If it won’t save while blank, fill it with random characters, and hit Save.
Once complete, you now need to log a request with Skype customer service to delete your account.
- Navigate to the Skype account closure webpage.
- Choose one of the selections and follow the instructions within. The instructions differ depending on which option you choose.
- Alternatively, follow this link to Customer Services.
- Select your issue and then click Next.
- You can elect to text chat or post an issue in the community. Only text chat with an official Skype representative can close your account. The community is not an official part of Skype staff.
- Click Start chat when ready and work with the representative to close your account.
As you can see, Skype really doesn’t want you to leave and does everything it can get away with to prevent you from deleting your account. Also, keep in mind that it can take up to two weeks to entirely remove your details from Skype. Even after that, your username will still be present on your contact’s address books, but they won’t be able to contact you anymore.
If you are using the Skype app for Windows 10, there are some differences. You’ll have to click the three dots next to your name on the main screen, then click the pop-up that has settings as the first option, then on the bottom of the Account & Profile tab is the close your account option, which then needs you to sign in to your Microsoft account again.
If you do choose to delete your Skype account, it is permanent. That means losing all your contacts, chat history, settings, and everything associated with the account. You will have to create a new account from the beginning should you wish to return to the app.
If you’re tired of Skype but still need a voice and video chatting app for work or social purposes, there are plenty of great alternatives available.
Some of these alternatives include:
- Zoom: a popular cloud-based video conferencing app designed specifically for large companies. Supports large group chats and is available on all major operating systems.
- Discord: a video, voice, and text chat app designed for gamers, but has become popular with casual and professional users as well.
- WhatsApp: a free app that offers video, text, voice, and group chat. Users only need a phone number to sign up and take advantage of the app’s functionality.
- Google Hangouts: a Skype alternative designed for users already immersed in the Google ecosystem. Integrates with Gmail and other Google apps to provide a seamless chatting experience.
- Viber: offers free video, text, and voice chatting, and paying customers can make calls to any phone number in the world. Does contain ads, but they tend to be fairly non-intrusive.
Each of these options has its own advantages and disadvantages, so take a look to see which of these Skype alternatives best suits your needs.