Skype used to be king of the chat apps and also used to be the most-used video chat app around. Now smarter, sleeker and more intuitive apps have arrived, Skype isn’t quite as popular as it used to be. Add the fact that Microsoft now owns it and the future is murky for the app. If it just isn’t hitting the spot for you, here’s how to delete your Skype account.
Unlike other apps, Skype makes it quite difficult to delete an account fully. Initially, you deactivate it as there is no option to delete it fully. Rather than providing an alternative to remove within the portal like many apps, you have to live chat with a customer service rep to entirely eliminate the account. Even then, it can take up to two weeks to fully delete everything.
Delete your Skype account
First, you have to delete all the personal information from your Skype account, so you no longer appear in directories or anywhere online.
- Log into your Skype account.
- Cancel any live subscriptions by clicking Auto recharge under Billing and payments. Select Disable.
- Remove your payment method.
- Set your online status to offline.
- Click Edit Profile under Settings and Preferences.
- Click Edit under Personal Information.
- Delete all information within the form. If it won’t save while blank, fill it with random characters, and hit Save.
Once complete, you now need to log a request with Skype Customer Services to delete your account.
- Navigate to the Skype account closure webpage.
- Choose one of the selections and follow the instructions within. The instructions differ depending on which option you choose.
- Alternatively, follow this link to Customer Services.
- Select your issue and then click Next.
- You can elect to text chat or post an issue in the community. Only text chat with an official Skype representative can close your account. The community is not an official part of Skype staff.
- Click Start chat when ready and work with the representative to close your account.
As you can see, Skype really doesn’t want you to leave and does everything it can get away with to prevent you from deleting your account. As mentioned above, it can take up to two weeks to fully delete your details from Skype. Even after that, your username will still be present on your contact’s address books, but they won’t be able to contact you anymore.
If you do choose to delete your Skype account, it is permanent. That means losing all your contacts, chat history, settings, and everything associated with the account. You will have to create a new account from the beginning should you wish to return to the app.
I haven’t ever deleted my Skype account, so I have no experience with the rest of the process. Have any of you done it? How long did it actually take? Tell us about it below.
Need a headset that is simple to use, stylish, and at a low price? Maybe you need to chat with a couple of friends on your new voice-to-chat app? Take a look at these headphones. With a thousand 4 to 5 star reviews, you can’t go wrong with that value!
Maybe you don’t want to delete your Skype account because of the hassle?
What if your sound isn’t working on your Skype? Click here to figure out how to troubleshoot that problem!
Is the reason you want to delete your Skype account because you got hacked? Our blog post shows you how to recover your hacked Skype account.
Maybe you’ve really had it with Skype; you should consider trying Discord! It’s an app specifically for gamers, but it’s not limited to just that. Discord has less dropped calls, more servers, and a better interface. It also doesn’t make you call customer service when you want to delete your account.
Want to know how to block someone in Discord because they’re bothering you and won’t shut up? Check out our blog post on how to get that idiot out of your server!
If you want to download videos off of Discord, it’s definitely possible; it just takes a little effort. Take a look at our blog post that takes you through step-by-step!
Finally, this blog post teaches you how to go live. Going live is similar to chatting on Discord, but instead, you show game footage from Twitch or Mixer.