Can DoorDash Drivers Deliver Alcohol?
The answer to the title question is yes, DoorDash drivers can deliver alcohol. In times when you can’t visit a bar or a restaurant, DoorDash is priceless. You can order alcohol with your food, or you can get just the drinks, it’s on you.
Ordering alcohol is straightforward, unlike, for example, ordering tobacco. However, DoorDash drivers have to follow a specific set of rules when delivering alcohol, which is nearly the same as for tobacco deliveries.
Learn more about ordering alcohol, the mentioned driver guidelines, and additional related facts in the article below.
How to Order Alcohol Through the DoorDash App
You can order alcohol through DoorDash just like you order food. In other words, you need to enter a location, find a bar or a restaurant that has alcohol on the menu, and add it to your order. Here is how to order alcoholic drinks on the mobile app:
- Launch the DoorDash app for your Android or iOS mobile device.
- Make sure to add your current address.
- Then use the search field to find a pub, bar, or restaurant that serves alcohol.
- Select the alcoholic beverages you want to order and add them to the cart.
- Go to checkout and finish the order.
How to Order Through the Website
The DoorDash website is even easier to use:
- The official DoorDash website has a special page for alcoholic beverages. Go to the alcohol near me section.
- Fill in your delivery address in the search field.
- Then, click on Find Restaurants next to it.
- Alternatively, you can scroll down the Alcohol page and find the best places serving alcohol in your city.
- When you find a place you like, browse their menu for cocktails, spirits, wine, and beer. Add them to your cart and proceed to checkout.
However, a Dasher won’t enjoy alcohol delivery as much as the customer. They have to follow a specific set of rules to deliver alcohol legally through the DoorDash service. Here are the official ground rules:
- They need to present your valid driver’s license to pick up an order, including alcohol from a merchant. It’s implied that a driver has to be 21 or older too.
- Before they hand over the alcohol to the customer, drivers need to verify that the customer is 21 or older. They need to make sure that the customer has a valid I.D. (passport, driver’s license, or military I.D.).
- Also, they have to ensure that the customer is not already intoxicated. They’ll have to use their best judgment for that.
- Finally, drivers will have to get the customer’s signature before they give them alcohol.
Special Note for Drivers
DoorDash prohibits drivers from delivering alcohol to customers on these locations:
- Any kind of schools (public or private), or campuses.
- Any government facilities.
- Storage units, lockers, and P.O. boxes.
- Any stores that sell alcohol.
If the customer is odd (e.g., their surroundings, or their I.D.), the driver doesn’t have to complete the delivery. They should call DoorDash support and ask them for instructions. They are not obligated to fulfill customer demands if they are breaking any of the mentioned rules.
If the customer is aggressive or threatening in any way (it could happen if they are drunk), drivers are instructed to retreat immediately and inform DoorDash support.
DoorDash delivers alcoholic beverages since 2016, and it is not the only delivery service that does it. Note, however, that only select DoorDash merchants have alcoholic drinks on their menus.
None of them can add alcohol for the delivery without DoorDash’s permission. The whole delivery process is legal and streamlined. If you’re a Dasher, be extra cautious when delivering alcohol.
Do you have a favorite pub or restaurant on DoorDash? Are you a wine, beer, or spirits person? Let us know in the comments section below. Also, feel free to ask any questions on the topic.