Email Account Setup Guide For Galaxy S8 And Galaxy S8 Plus
Email services and smartphones go hand in hand. These days, almost any Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus user has an email account on his or her device. In fact, email is so important to smartphone users that setting up an account on their phones is one of the first things they do when unpacking the device and starting to configure its settings.
As you probably know, Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus supports quite a few different types of email accounts. This is a great feature because it allows you to set up, access and use more than one email account, at the same time, from the same device. The problem, however, is that not all Samsung users are perfectly aware of their options. And even those who know about this possibility do not necessarily have all the right information for configuring all these types of email accounts.
When you set up your email app, you have to juggle with more than the User ID and the password. It’s usually the server settings that discourage people or make things a bit more complicated. So this is the part where you contact your carrier or your email service provider and ask all the correct information regarding the server settings, the port numbers and so on.
Once you have gathered all the facts, you can proceed with the instructions from below.
How to set up an email account when using Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus
As mentioned, you will need a series of information:
- Incoming server settings;
- Outgoing server settings;
- Port numbers;
- A couple of other POP3 / IMAP/ Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account settings.
It all starts by accessing the Email icon from the Apps folder, right on the Home screen. In some cases, the Email app is located in the Samsung folder instead of the Apps folder, so make sure you check there if you can’t see it among the Apps.
- In the newly opened screen, tap on the email address listed in there, if you already have an email account registered with your Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus;
- If no email address is listed in there or if you want to register a new email account, select the option labeled as Add New Account;Introduce the email address and the password associated with that account;
- Select the Manual Setup option to continue the setup all by yourself;
- Tap on Sign In if you want to let the device search for your email server settings automatically;
- POP3 account;
- IMAP account;
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account;
- If you opted for Manual Setup, follow these steps:
- Choose the email account type between the three main options:
- Type in the server settings for the chosen email account;
- Tap on the Sign In button to continue;
- Let the device verify the server settings you just introduced;
- Once the settings are confirmed and the device connects to the server, you should reach the Sync schedule screen;
- Take some time and configure the sync options as you see fit;
- Hit the Sign In once again;
- Type in an account name – this would also be a great moment to personalize a signature for all your future outgoing messages, in the appropriate field;
- Select Done when you’re ready.
From this moment on, emails should start piling up in your inbox. But since we mentioned three different types of email accounts, let us have a closer look at their particularities.
How To Add POP3/ IMAP Email Accounts On Galaxy S8 And Galaxy S8 Plus
If you want to add a personal email account to Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus, you can do it with a POP3 or IMAP type of account. One of these two comes from the stock email application. The other is accessible through the Settings menu. Let’s see what’s this all about.
Add an email account through the stock Email App
- Go to the Home screen;
- Tap on the Apps icon;
- Tap on the Email icon to launch the app (remember if you don’t find the Email icon under the Apps folder to look for it under the Samsung folder);
- Go to the Inbox screen;
- Select Menu;
- Tap on Settings;
- Tap on Add Account;
- In the newly opened screen, follow the instructions step by step and complete the setup process.
Once you’re ready, you should be able to receive emails on that account.
Add an email account through the Settings menu
- Open the Apps folder from the Home screen;
- Go to Settings;
- Tap on Accounts;
- Select Add Account;
- Select Email;
- Start typing the email address and the password for that account;
- Tap on Sign In and either let the device do an automatic setup or select Manual Setup and configure all the necessary fields (type of email, username, password, server settings, security type);
- Configure the Sync settings;
- Hit the Next button;
- Give your account a name and a signature (for the outgoing emails) by filling in the specific fields;
- Select Done when you’ve finished with all the settings.
Exchange ActiveSync / Work Email Account – how to add one
As you must have noticed by now, the POP3 and IMAP settings are for personal email accounts. If you want to set up your work email account on your Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 Plus, you have the amazing Exchange features that will let you configure an Exchange ActiveSync account. Once you do that, you will be able to sync your smartphone with the work email and handle whatever you’re getting in that inbox just like you do with your personal emails.
Before you do that, remember that you will need to know the exact exchange server and some other specific settings. So it is best to contact the network administrator from your company or the Exchange Server administrator, tell him what you want to do, and ask for the specific information. With all these in place, take these steps to configure your Exchange ActiveSync email account on Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus:
- Access the Home screen;
- Open the Settings app;
- Go to Accounts;
- Select Add Account;
- Select the account type Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync;
- Type in the address and the password for that work email;
- Select Manual Setup;
- Continue with all the details that you received from the network administrator;
- Continue with the onscreen instructions and set up whatever extra options you have in there;
- Fill in the two fields for Account Name and Display Name (the signature of the emails you will be sending from this account);
- Tap Done when you have finished configuring the account.
Exchange ActiveSync settings and preferences on Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus
So far, we only talked about setting up an Exchange ActiveSync account for your work emails. But there’s a lot more you can configure on this type of email account other than the Display Name. You also have a couple of sync options, you can prepare canned out-of-office messages, you can flag messages, send meeting requests and configure message priorities. If you want to learn more about these options, here’s where you need to go:
- Open the Email app from the Apps folder;
- Go to the Inbox screen and tap on More to access a couple of additional options;
- Select the Settings option;
- Select the Account Name to see what options you have available for that particular Exchange ActiveSync account;
- Tap on the option you’re interested in configuring.
We will leave you with all that for now because it sure looks like a lot to digest. But stay posted and you will soon get even more step-by-step instructions on how to make the best of your email accounts on Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus.