How to Watch Amazon Prime Video With Chromecast
Amazon Prime has an excellent selection of movies, TV and Web series you can watch. (We’ve been keeping track of some of the best shows and movies they have on offer.) If you’re an Amazon Prime member, you should absolutely take advantage of Amazon Prime video streaming.
If you have a Google Chromecast you probably want to take advantage and watch Amazon Prime video on it. Let’s see what you need to do to make this happen.
First, you’ll need two things: the Google Chrome browser and a Prime account. We’ll talk about them and then get into how to make the two work together.
Google Chrome Browser
A majority of internet and web users already use the Google Chrome browser. You’ll need it to watch Amazon Prime video through your Google Chromecast device.
After you’ve downloaded the Google Chrome browser and installed it on your Mac, PC, or tablet, get ready to elevate your viewing pleasure to the next level. You’ll have even more streaming video choices as long as you also hold an Amazon Prime membership.
Amazon Prime Membership
As an Amazon Prime subscriber, you have access to more than just two-day Prime shipping. The other perks that come with an Amazon Prime subscription include unlimited streaming of Prime music, notification of deals before regular Amazon customers, and a pass to stream Amazon Prime video content.
Right now we’re talking about how you can stream Amazon Prime video, though, so let’s move on to that. Getting back on track, we were talking about how you can stream Amazon Prime video content to your Google Chromecast.
Stream Amazon Prime Video to Your Google Chromecast Device
All right: so you’ve got the Google Chrome browser and you’ve got an Amazon Prime subscription. Here are the steps to stream Amazon video to your Chromecast device.
- Open your Chrome browser and navigate to your Amazon Prime account at Amazon.com.
- Click on the “Prime” drop-down arrow and go down to “Watch.”
- Unless you’ve already created a “watch list,” browse the shows and movies until you find something you’d like to watch. Then, select it. (We’ll be watching Orphan Black here, because I’m writing the article so I get to choose.)
- The video you’ve selected will start playing in your Chrome browser. Go ahead and pause it for a minute. Now we need to get it cast through your Chromecast device.
- In the upper right-hand side of the Chrome browser, you’ll see the Chromecast icon.
- Click on the Chromecast icon and select your Google Chromecast device from the list. Then choose “Cast tab” from the “Cast to” drop-down menu.
- Now you should see your Amazon Prime video displayed on your TV screen (or whatever screen you chose for your Chromecast device).
In the most recent releases of the Google Chrome browser, Google Chromecast castability has been built into the browser. That means you no longer need to download the Google Cast extension in order to use Chromecast. Just download or update to the most current version of the Google Chrome browser and you’ll be set to go.
You can either mirror your desktop or the Chrome browser tab as well. In the walkthrough above, we’re only casting the tab. That way the Amazon Prime video is output on our entire TV screen. This also allows us to minimize the Chrome browser window and keep doing work on our computer while we watch Orphan Black on the TV, cast from Amazon Prime video on our computer through Google Chromecast.
There you have it. You can now enjoy streaming your Amazon Prime videos by casting them directly to your Google Chromecast device. Enjoy!