Forgot My Pattern Lock Google Pixel And Pixel XL (Solution)
If you own a Google Pixel or Pixel XL, you might forget the pattern lock and then need to reset the pattern lock. After all, human beings have been forgetting passwords for as long as passwords have existed. The most common solution to reset the password on the Pixel or Pixel XL requires completing a hard factory reset, which can delete all your files and data on the smartphone. If you’re in the habit of periodically backing up your Pixel or Pixel, then it’s not a big deal, but if you’re not then it’s not the most ideal solution.
For those that don’t have their Google Pixel or Pixel XL backed up, we’ve compiled a couple different ways to reset the password on the Pixel or Pixel XL when locked out without having to lose data or files. The following is a guide that will teach you two different ways to reset the lock screen password on the Pixel or Pixel XL when you get locked out without needing to go through with a factory reset.
Password Reset with Android Device Manager
This first way to reset the password on both the Pixel or Pixel XL is for those that have already registered their Pixel or Pixel XL with the Android Device Manager. When using the Android Device Manger to reset the password, all you need to do is activate the “Lock” feature. The “Lock” feature on the Android Device Manger will allow you to get the Pixel or Pixel XL password to reset when you have forgotten the password on the Pixel or Pixel XL.
- Go to the Android Device Manager from a computer.
- Find your Pixel or Pixel XL on the screen.
- Enable the “Lock & Erase” feature.
- Then follow the given steps on the page to lock your phone.
- Set a temporary password once you’re prompted to.
- Enter the temporary password on your phone to bypass the lock screen.
- Create a new permanent password and maybe write it down somewhere.
Reset Password with Google Find My Mobile
Another method would be to use Google’s Find My Mobile (Find My Android), similar to Find My iPhone. You can use the “Remote Controls” feature on your Google Pixel or Pixel XL, which will allow you to temporarily reset the password and bypass the lock screen on the Pixel or Pixel XL. If you have not already registered the Pixel or Pixel XL with Google, try registering it as soon as possible.
- Register the Pixel or Pixel XL with Google.
- Use the Find My Mobile service to temporarily reset the password.
- Bypass the lock screen using the new temporary password.
- Set a new permanent password and possibly make a note of it somewhere.
Reset Password with Factory Reset
If you can’t use either of the other two methods, then your only real options are to remember your password or to trigger a factory reset. If that’s the case, we’ll walk you through how to go through with that.
- Turn off the Pixel or Pixel XL.
- Press and hold the Volume Up button, the Home button, and the Power button at the same time, until you see the Android icon.
- Using the Volume Down button, select the ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option and press the Power button to select it.
- Using the Volume down button, highlight ‘Yes – delete all user data’ and press Power to select it.
- When the Pixel or Pixel XL restarts, everything will be wiped and will be ready for you to set it all up again.
Read this guide to learn an alternative method to factory reset the Pixel or Pixel XL. It’s important to note that before you go to do a factory reset on the Pixel or Pixel XL, you should back up all files and information to prevent any data from being lost.