How many times has your phone frozen out of the blue? That can’t be particularly pleasant, especially if you’re chatting with your crush or breaking records in your favorite game.
Sometimes the screen isn’t responding to any of your commands. You even try the side buttons, but nothing seems to be working. You need to remove the battery to force a restart.
But what do you do if you don’t know how to open the back battery cover? If you have a Samsung A20, this article may help you solve this mystery.
How to Open the Back Battery Cover and Remove the Battery
Years ago, it was much easier to open the back cover of a mobile device and remove the battery. You could do it in seconds because many back covers were the snap-on type. However, today you need additional tools to do it.
Most mobile phone models today don’t have snap-on back covers. That’s the case with newer Samsung models, as well as the Galaxy A20 – the back cover’s glued tightly to the phone. Therefore, you shouldn’t remove it on your own unless you know what you’re doing.
You’d need to melt the adhesive with a hairdryer and then remove the back cover with a guitar pick, for example. You could damage the phone in the process if something goes wrong.
If you don’t have a hairdryer at hand, you can remove the back cover using alcohol or acetone. Isopropyl alcohol and acetone dissolve the glue, so they should help with removing the cover. Follow these steps:
- Apply a few drops of isopropyl alcohol or acetone where the cover is attached to the device. Alternatively, you could use a hairdryer to heat the glue.
- Wait for the glue to dissolve.
- Take a guitar pick or a similar thin object that can fit between the cover and the phone, and gently slide it until one side of the cover detaches from the phone.
- Repeat this for an adjacent side of your phone, and when you detach two sides, you can slowly remove the back cover with your hand.
It’s worth noting that these steps also apply to the hairdryer method. Again, we advise you to avoid doing this by yourself.
Let’s now move on to other useful tips.
How to Do the Soft Reset on Samsung A20
If you need to restart your phone, a soft reset is a much safer option. Here’s how to do it on your A20.
- Press and hold the Power button along with the Volume down button for up to 45 seconds.
- Your mobile phone will restart, so wait until the process completes.
How to Remove the SIM Without Opening the Back Cover
With older phones, you typically needed to remove the back cover, and maybe even the battery, to insert or remove the SIM card. Nowadays, the SIM card has its tray, and it’s easy to put it in or take out.
To remove or insert the SIM card into your Samsun Galaxy A20, do the following:
- Power off the device before you start. Don’t skip this step because you could damage the SIM card or the phone.
- Use the pin tool that came with your phone to take out the SIM card tray. If you don’t have the pin tool, a paperclip will do. Insert the tool into the small hole on the tray. It is on the left side of your phone when the display is facing up.
- Insert the SIM card into the tray, or remove it.
- Put the tray back to its place and press to lock it in.
- Turn on your phone to make sure you’ve placed the SIM correctly.
Does My Phone Have a Memory Card?
Samsung Galaxy’s built-in storage (32GB) is probably big enough for anything you may want to keep on your phone. Still, you can add a memory card to extend its capacity. You can add a memory card of 512GB at most. Before you buy the micro SD card, make sure it’s compatible with your phone.
You insert or remove the memory card the same way you did with the SIM card. It’s in the same tray, right next to the SIM. When you place the memory card into the tray, the gold-colored contacts should be facing down.
Does It Pay Off to DIY?
Like you can replace the broken touchscreen on your own, you could probably do it with the back cover too. But that may not be the best idea, especially if you don’t have the adequate tools or skills. You may damage your phone and end up paying even more than what you would have initially.
Letting a professional handle this for you may be your best bet. If you’re not happy with the back cover of your phone, you can always buy a case and make your phone look interesting.
Have you ever tried to open the back battery cover on your Samsung A20? How did it go? Let us know in the comments section below.