RCA universal remotes are amazingly useful if you’re into home theater or have a couple of devices in your sitting room. A single control can take over where multiple controls ruled. No more searching for the remote and no more having to replace batteries in four or five of them at a time.
Also see our article Best Android Remote Apps for Vizio TVs
The great thing about RCA universal remotes is that they work with a multitude of devices from most, if not all, mainstream manufacturers. So no matter what tech you’re using, the remote should work.
There are two main ways to program an RCA universal remote, type in the code or use the code search function. We start with the latter.
Programming your RCA universal remote
Using the code search function of the RCA universal remote is a breeze. The only caveat is that the device must be remote control compatible. If it has one already, it should work.
- Turn on the device you want to configure the RCA universal remote for.
- Point the RCA universal remote at the device and press the Code Search button.
- Hold the button down until the light next to the Code Search button illuminates.
- Press the button that refers to the device. For example press TV to control the TV and so on. The light at the top of the remote should then blink and remain illuminated.
- Press the power button on the remote and the RCA universal remote will try a code it has in its memory. Keep pressing until it finds the correct one and the device powers off.
- Press Enter on the remote once the device has powered off to lock the code.
- Turn the device back on using the Reverse button and test the functions.
The RCA universal remote is pretty good at managing most devices from mainstream brands. When pressing the power button, it may take a while for your device to turn off. There are a couple hundred codes it needs to try and if yours is down the list it might take a while. If the light on the remote flashes four times, it doesn’t have the code for your device.
Finding codes for the RCA universal remote
You can also manually input the code for the device you want to control. It is simple to do and as long as you have the code, is faster than using Code Search.
- Turn on the device you want to control.
- Find the code from the list that comes with the remote or from the RCA website.
- Press and hold the corresponding button for the device, so TV for a TV, DVD for a DVD player and so on.
- While holding down the key, type in the code using the keypad. If the on/off key stays lit, the code is good. If the key flashes, try the code again or try a different code.
- Press the power button on the remote. If the device turns off, all is good. If it doesn’t, try another code.