Programming Your RCA Universal Remote Control and Where To Find Your Code
An RCA universal remote is amazingly useful if you have a home theater or if you have a few entertainment devices in your living room. Instead of having a different remote for every device, a single control can be used for all of them. No more sorting through remotes to find the right one, and no more having to dedicate a portion of your household budget towards replacing remote batteries.
The great thing about an RCA universal remote is that it works with a most devices from mainstream manufacturers. No matter what TV or entertainment device you have in your home, the remote should work with it.
When you first get your RCA universal remote, you will have to set it up with each of your devices. There are two main ways to program an RCA universal remote: type in a code or use the code search function.
Programming your RCA universal remote
Using the code search function on the RCA universal remote is a breeze. However, there are two caveats:
- Not all RCA universal remotes have the code search function.
- The device you are trying to set up must be compatible with a remote control.
To use the code search function, follow these steps:
- Turn on the device you want to configure the RCA universal remote for.
- Point the RCA universal remote at the device and press the Code Search button.
- Hold the button down until the light next to the Code Search button illuminates.
- Press the button that refers to the device. For example, press “TV” to control the TV. The light at the top of the remote should blink, then remain illuminated.
- Press the power button on the remote, and the RCA universal remote will try to use a code to turn off the TV. Keep pressing until it finds the correct one and the device powers off.
- Press Enter on the remote once the device has powered off to lock the code.
- Turn the device back on using the Reverse button and test the functions.
Note that when pressing the power button, it may take a while for your device to turn off. The RCA universal remote needs time to try a couple hundred codes. If yours is far down on the list, it might take a while. If the light on the remote flashes four times, then it unfortunately does not have the code for your device.
Finding codes for the RCA universal remote
If your RCA universal remote does not have the Code Search function, you can also manually input the code for the device you want to control. As long as you have the code, is faster than using Code Search. Just follow these steps:
- Turn on the device you want to control.
- Find your remote’s Revision Number, which should be an alphanumeric code on the back of the remote.
- Enter the Revision Number on the RCA website, along with the brand name of the remote control to find the appropriate code.
- Press and hold the corresponding button for the device, so “TV” for a TV, “DVD” for a DVD player and so on.
- While holding down the key, use the keypad to type in the code you found in Step 3. If the on/off key stays lit, the code is good. If the key flashes, try the code again or try a different code.
- Press the power button on the remote. If the device turns off, the code worked. If it does not, try another code.