AIM and Yahoo Profiles – When Did You Last Look at Yours?
Every single user ID that exists for either has a profile web page.
Viewing a profile page for a Yahoo! ID is done by typing in the web address http://profiles.yahoo.com/YOUR_YAHOO_ID
Many people have a Yahoo! Profile that’s really old and/or hasn’t been updated in quite some time. There may be information listed there that’s inaccurate or maybe you don’t want any information to be shown at all.
You can modify your Yahoo! Profile by doing the following:
- Go to http://profiles.yahoo.com/YOUR_YAHOO_ID
- Click the “Sign In” link at the top.
- Login using the same ID/password you use for Yahoo! Mail or Yahoo! Messenger.
- Click “View My Profiles”
- On the following web page, you may want to uncheck “Hide my online status.” This is optional.
- On that same web page, click “Edit” next to your Yahoo! ID.
- Click “Edit Profile Information” on the next page.
- Modify any/all information you wish. If you want a higher level of privacy, uncheck “Add this profile to Yahoo! Member Directory” at the bottom.
- Click “Save Changes”
To note: This does not affect personal Yahoo ID account information (such as for Yahoo Premium Services); it only changes profile information.
All AIM ID’s also have a profile page.
You can see yours by typing the address http://www.aimpages.com/YOUR_AIM_ID
You can modify your AIM profile by doing the following:
- Go to http://www.aimpages.com
- Login with the same AIM ID and password you do when you login to AOL Instant Messenger.
- At the top right of the web page, click “Page.”
- Go through each section on the left and modify to your liking.
- Save when finished.
To note: It helps if you’re using an official release of AIM instead of an alternative client, such as Trillian. You don’t have to use official releases of AIM, but it sometimes helps to make your AIM profile “agree” with the client you use.
Concerning Your Privacy
Whatever is listed on either your Yahoo! Profile or your AIM Profile is public to the world. Some people are okay with this but others are not.
For business purposes, it is obviously better to be more on the public side of things to make it easier for current and future clients to contact you.
For personal purposes, it is up to you how private you want to be. You can make either a Yahoo or AIM profile “blanked out” so it shows absolutely nothing about you, or you can have it only show specific information. For example, maybe you don’t want to show the city you live in but do want to show the state. Maybe you want to list your personal web site, MySpace or Facebook page.
Whatever you decide, the point is that you control what is shown on your profiles.