What is the Pinhole Button on Nest Hello?
Sometimes, when a device isn’t working, there’s no other remedy but to restart it. Merely turning it off and then back on again can fix a temporary bug and make your device function properly.
However, in some cases, you need to factory reset a device. That means all user data will be lost and you’ll need to set it up again.
Keep this in mind if you want to restart your Nest Hello doorbell. How do you reset it anyway? Read this article to find out.
Restarting Your Nest Hello
Simple issues usually require simple solutions. A frozen image or not being able to connect to the Wi-Fi network that worked just fine until a couple of minutes ago can sometimes be fixed by restarting your device. Note that all your settings will be saved, and your Nest Hello will automatically continue streaming when you turn it back on.
How do you restart your video doorbell? Follow these simple steps:
- Detach the doorbell from the plate. You can do this by using the pin tool that came with your device. You can also use a paper clip or a thumbtack.
- Don’t detach the device from the wires.
- There is a pinhole on the back of Hello, near the top. Insert the pin tool, or whatever you’re using instead, and hold it for around 10 seconds.
- The light will turn off, and now you can take out the pin.
Note that you shouldn’t press the doorbell button because it will reset your Hello to factory settings.
How to Reset Other Nest Cams
You may have other models of Google cams, but you don’t restart them the same way as the Nest Hello doorbell. To restart a Nest Cam, a Nest Cam IQ, or a Dropcam, do the following:
- Unplug the power adapter from the outlet to disconnect your camera.
- Leave it unplugged for 10 seconds.
- Plug it back into the outlet and wait for the camera to restart
Resetting Your Nest Hello Doorbell to Factory Settings
Sometimes, a simple restart won’t solve the problem, and a factory reset will be necessary. Here’s how to rest your Nest Hello to its factory settings:
- Disconnect the camera from the base.
- Leave the wires as they are and don’t detach them from the camera.
- Insert the pin or another tool you have into the pinhole and hold.
- At the same time, press the doorbell button on the front side of the device.
- You will hear a sound coming from the camera and see the light ring starting to spin blue.
- After that, it will flash yellow and turn off.
- Let go of the buttons now.
- Wait for the reset process to complete. Your camera will make a sound, and a blue light will turn on when the reset process ends.
- To set up your camera again, you have to remove it from the app first. Launch the app on your phone, tap on the camera, and open Settings. Then scroll to find Remove camera and confirm.
- When you receive an email from Nest, the removal is complete, and you can add your camera again and connect it to your Wi-Fi.
Note: If you have a Nest Cam Indoor, a Nest Cam Outdoor, or a Dropcam, you can easily reset them to factory settings by removing them from the app. They don’t have any reset buttons. To reset one of these cams, follow steps 9 and 10 from this section.
Resetting Indoor and Outdoor Nest Cam IQ
The Indoor cam has the pinhole button on the bottom side of the camera base. The Outdoor Cam has it on the front side of the camera. Here’s how to reset them.
- You should leave your camera connected while you’re performing the reset.
- Use the pin or a similar tool to press the reset button. Hold until the light ring starts to spin blue. You can still change your mind and stop the reset process while the lights are yellow.
- The reset starts when the cam lights turn off.
- The lights will turn on and pulse blue when the reset is over.
- Now open the Nest app to remove the camera.
- Select the camera within the app and tap Settings.
- Scroll down and select the Remove camera option. Tap to confirm that you’re sure.
- After you receive the confirmation email, you can set up your cam again.
It’s a good idea to screenshot your settings before you perform the reset, in case you forget what options you’d been using.
Your First Aid Kit
Restarting or resetting your device is usually the first thing you try to do when it’s not working correctly. You can solve many issues with your Nest Hello doorbell by doing so, such as connection problems or frozen or skipping video.
Have you experienced any issues with your Google cams? Did restarting or resetting the device to factory settings solve the problem? Share your experience in the comments section below!