If you want to tidy up your viewing life or want to hide the fact you have been watching re-runs of something embarrassing, you’re not alone. We here at TechJunkie don’t judge. We all have TV show favorites we would never admit to and will keep your secret safe. I will even show you how to delete watched movie history on Netflix and Hulu to keep that secret a little safer.
The ability to track everything you do on Netflix or Hulu is useful for the majority of the time. However, it does bare your soul to other people who use your account or use the service with you. That’s when deleting viewing history can come in useful. If you have just binge-watched the entire run of Fresh Prince of Bel Air and don’t want anyone to know, I’ve got your back.
Delete watched movie history on Netflix
If you need to delete your Netflix watched movie history, you will need to do it on either your computer or cell phone. I’ll show you how to do both.
On your PC or Mac:
- Log into Netflix using your browser and select Your Account.
- Select My Profile and select the Viewing activity link. You should be presented with a page listing all your viewed movies and shows.
- Click the little gray X at the right of each line to delete individual entries.
- Select the Remove series? link to remove an entire series from your history.
On Android or iPhone:
- Log into the Netflix app and select Account.
- Select My Profile and select the Viewing activity link. You should see a page listing all your viewed movies and shows.
- Tap the little gray X at the right of each entry to delete.
On the app you don’t get the option to delete entire series so you have to remove entries individually. Otherwise the steps are much the same regardless of the device you use.
If you use Netflix on a smart TV, the deletions will propagate to it if you use the browser method but it can take 24 hours or so. Wherever you delete your viewing history from, it will eventually propagate to all your connected devices.
Delete watched movie history on Hulu
Hulu has just as many shows, if not more and you might want to cover your tracks, tidy up your viewing history or whatever. Just like Netflix, it is all done through your account.
On your PC or Mac:
- Log into Hulu and hover over your name in the top right.
- Select History and you will be taken to your viewing history.
- Select the trash can next to each movie or show to delete it from the list.
On iPhone or iPad:
- Log into the Hulu app on your iDevice.
- Select the three line menu icon and select the gear icon for Settings.
- Select History to see everything you have watched.
- Tap the X next to each entry you want to delete.
On your smart TV or streaming device:
- Log into the Hulu app.
- Select History and the history page will appear.
- Select Clear recently watched videos.
The smart TV or streaming device option only allows you to clear your entire history at this time. If you only want to remove individual shows, log in using your browser or iOS app and the changes will propagate to your TV over the next 24 hours. Those using an older version of the app on their smart TV or streaming device may not see the option to clear history. Just do it via your computer or app.
The same as Netflix, wherever you remove your viewing history from it will eventually be reflected across every device you use to access the service.
There is currently no way to delete watched movie history on Android. The app does work in every other way but the functionality to delete your viewing history is currently not present. Hulu have not yet said whether they would add it so you’re stuck using your browser until it arrives.
The 24 hour propagation between the service and your devices is an average. I have seen this done in less than an hour and take much longer than 24 hours so your mileage may vary. I guess much depends on where you are and how busy the servers are. Plan for the worst if you’re trying to hide your tracks.
Know of any other ways to delete watched movie history on Netflix and Hulu? Tell us about them below if you do!