How To Use Your Google Play Music Library with Amazon Echo
While Google Play Music can’t directly link with and work on Amazon Echo theirs a way to get your Google Play music library into the Amazon Music app. Uploading your Google Play Music to the Amazon Music app enables you to listen to it through Amazon Echo.
A second way to play your Google Play Music would be by pairing the Bluetooth connection and playing right from your Smartphone or tablet. We’ll cover both ways for you to listen to your Google Play music through your Amazon Echo.
You’ll just need to take a few steps to get your Google Play Music working with the Amazon music application or Bluetooth. Then, you’ll be able to ask Alexa to play your music or just play it from your paired device through Amazon Echo.
Here’s what you’ve got to do. We’ll start off with the more involved method of using Google Play music with your Amazon Echo first, then, we’ll tell you how to use the Bluetooth method.
Get the Amazon Music App
If you already have an Amazon Prime account then, you have access to Amazon music. Log into your Amazon account on the Amazon.com website. Then, under your account go down to your music library which gets highlighted in orange and click on it.
- Then, you’ll be on the Amazon Music page on the next screen that appears.
- In the left side panel go down to where it says Upload Your Music to Your Cloud Library. Then, click it.
- Then a box should pop up on your screen. You’re going to select the option of downloading the Amazon Music uploader for your computer, Mac or Windows.
- Next, you’ll click on the button that says Install the Amazon Music application.
- The Amazon Music application downloads in your web browser. It shows on the bottom left-hand side of your screen at the bottom of your browser window.
- Then, follow the instructions on how to locate the Amazon Music installer file on your computer as shown in your browser window.
- After installing the Amazon Music app, open it and you’re prompted to log into your Amazon account.
- The Amazon Music app opens once you’ve logged in. You’ll be on the browse page. Click on My Music to the right of that.
Upload Your Google Play Music
Now we’ll tell you how to upload your Google Play Music to the Amazon Music application so; you can listen to it through your Amazon Echo.
Before proceeding, we must tell you that you can only add up to 250 songs to the Amazon Music app for free. If you want to upload up 250,00 songs, you’ll have to subscribe to Amazon Music which is $7.99 a month for Prime members.
Now let’s get to uploading some Google Play Music to the Amazon music app, shall we?
If your Google Play music collection lives on your computer, you can upload it directly through the Amazon Music app. Move your pointer over to the right of the Amazon Music app then, drag and drop your music files or select the folder they’re located in on your computer.
That’s how you get the Amazon music app and upload your Google play Music when you want access to it right from your Echo Dot and use Alexa.
Use Bluetooth for Google Play Music
So, here is the more direct and less convoluted way of playing your Google Play Music through your Amazon Echo (I am using an Echo Dot just FYI). Open the Alexa application on your Smartphone or mobile device.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the upper left of the Alexa app.
- Then, tap on Settings.
- Next, tap on your Amazon Echo device and the following screen tap Bluetooth.
- Select Pair a New device.
- Make sure you’ve turned Bluetooth on on your smartphone or tablet. Alternatively, go into the Bluetooth settings on your device and select your Amazon Echo under my devices. Alexa audibly lets you know when your smartphone or tablet has paired with your Amazon Echo.
When you’ve successfully paired your device to the Amazon Echo, just go to the Google Play Music application and start playing your music. It can be heard coming from your Amazon Echo. You can control volume manually on the Amazon Echo or right from your smartphone or tablet.
There you have it. Now use the Amazon Music application to upload your Google Play music collection and listen to it through your Amazon Echo. Or if, you’d prefer, use a Bluetooth connection between your mobile device and your Amazon Echo and play Google Play music right from the Google Play Music app.